+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grit for Building Reamers, Availability?

Default Grit for Building Reamers, Availability?

Hi All,

In my book on fly rod building, it discusses making reamers from sections of old fly rod, and coating them with grit. They then can be used to ream the cork grip to fit the blank.

The problem is that I have looked at various suppliers, and have not been able to find it. Where can it be obtained, and what is the best grit size?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

I went to the beach on Lake Michigan, coated my rod section with glue and rolled it in the sand. It works fine and I can always go back to recoat it some day if needed.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Bass_Bug Guest

Should always keep Mud Hole on the top of the list for anything Rod building related.
    http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...e-Cutting-Grit

But I would also take a look at these grit-tape products. Much easier to make a reamer out of then by using lose grit. At least easier to make a consistent shaped reamer
    http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-bui...550200007.aspx
    http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...sive-25ft-Roll
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 10-20-2010 at 02:20 PM.

It might be a little slower, but Woodcraft sells woodturners sandpaper in spools 1 inch wide that could be spiraled up to make your own reamer. I think a 50' rolls is under $10, and you have less chance of the rough grit from those reamers tearing out the cork.

I tried the reamers and quite frankly I found them to be a real pain to use for any length of time not to mention that they wear out after a few handles. I found the easiest and fastest way for me was to take a rat-tail file, cut off the tang so that I could chuck it up in my hand drill and run it in reverse. It takes about 15 seconds to ream out the handle. The only thing I caution is that you MUST run the drill in reverse or the teeth on the file will really dig in and it will get stuck. (DAMHIK) I've been using the same file for the past four years and it works great. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Jim Smith

I have an assortment of rat tail files that i typically use for reaming out handles. The files need to cleaned as you go along, but I still found it to work best for me. I have put it the files into the drill before and found it to be a very quick process.
    Another reason to run the drill in reverse is to prevent the file from digging in and pulling the cork handle into the chuck.

Blog Entries

I think the rat tail file is too short. I got a reamer making kit from Neal's fishing products and made a few reamers.
    http://www.nealsfishingtackle.com/
    It came with a bunch of rod sections, some eva handles, and a bag of grit. Glue on a handle, put epoxy on the blank and sprinkle with grit. Works great for years.

A rat tail file is only a couple of bucks and will last you a life time plus. Gandolf build that rod and quit messin' round. I know ya got in in ya.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

RV stores have gritted tape to put on the fold down steps. Non slip tape. Works for making reamers out of old rods.

Hi Hairwing,

I am still getting around to getting all the stuff bought. I have a couple of blanks, and want to get a couple more, but don't have all the supplies bought yet to even build one rod. Been tying flies, and want to go fishing. My plan is to read up on rod building, get stuff gathered up, and work on rods this winter.

Some folks might comment that the progress I am making amounts to dithering around........could be......that thought is also occuring to me too.

Actually making the decisions on what to buy seems to be a battle. Figuring out the type of seat, size guides, color of thread, etc. On some of the stuff, I am about to just look at some of my current rods, and make a decision. I am not good at colors, being a little color blind. It's been a surprize as to how much there is to know, where to get the supplies, etc.

Every one here who has posted advise has been of great help. Thank you all for answering so many of the very basic beginnerish questions that I have had. Sorry I have had so many questions.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 10-23-2010 at 03:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread