+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your preferred wading boot?

I must say I am in the market and this is a timely thread, not intentionally to hijack but I am a bit surprised of how many responses included felt soles considering the implications that can arise from fishing multiple streaches of water..

I am looking at zip ups but it will be with some other material other than felt.

Checkout the new Korkers for sure the Chromes are pretty sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Stage 1 View Post
    I must say I am in the market and this is a timely thread, not intentionally to hijack but I am a bit surprised of how many responses included felt soles considering the implications that can arise from fishing multiple streaches of water..

I am looking at zip ups but it will be with some other material other than felt.
    I think you are in part refering to the photo of the felt soled boots I posted. Allow me to explain.

My view is that there is no way to prevent the spread of invasives short of separate sets of gear for each watershed. Better than rubber bottom wading boots is to have a separate set of wading boots for each river system. Rubber soled boots still need to be chemically treated and completely dried. I suspect most fly fishers will not treat their boots nor will they wait until they are completely dry.

My other view is that rubber boots do not equal felt soled boots for traction and safe wading.

These two beliefs have lead me to have different sets of wading boots for each river I wade. I have a separate set of boots for the Madison River and another set for my local river.

I have 5 new sets of Borger boots in reserve for any new rivers I may fish. It helps that I got the boots free since my friend owned the company that manufacturs them. I don't think that many boots are really necessary. Two are sufficient to allow one set to dry completely while you use the other set.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I've had a few pairs of Korkers and eventually grew disappointed in them. I had issues with laces breaking too often, and there is a definite loss of surface area of the sole due to the manner that the interchangeable soles fit in. I do think they are very versatile in allowing for interchangeable soles, and I used that feature quite a bit as I was bluelining mountain brook trout streams.

I bought a pair of Simms G3 Vibram soled boots, as Didymo is becoming an issue here in the Adirondacks. They worked okay on our big boulder strewn rivers, but once I put in the Hardbite cleats they were awesome. My unofficial estimate is that the bare Vibram rubber soles offer 75% the grip of felt, and the combination of rubber and cleats gives 110% the grip; that is to say, I find them superior to traditional felt soles.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    I use the Weinbrenner (Gary Borger model) propex boot with studs. I'm still wearing the prototype of this boot. It 's about 15 years old.

Silver,

I use the same kind. After 4 seasons, the felt is getting thin. Have you had your felt re-soled on yours?

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I would return the boots to Weinbrenner for resoling. When my friend owned the company, they would resole and even repair the boots at a very reasonable cost. I have studded soles and they last longer than the unstudded felt soles.

You can call them at 715-356-5521 for options and pricing. Wenbrenner has a factory outlet store that occasionaly has seconds of wading boots. They will also send you first quality boots at wholesale plus a UPS shipping fee through the factory outlet store.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Thanks alot for the response. I have been meaning to get another pair. and send these in. Thinking on trying the "light weights". I love my Propex boots though. They accomodate my wide feet well, and are the most comfortable wading boots I have used. Hard to beat considering they are one of the last holdout, truely made in USA, boot manufacturers out there.
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I like Chota. A great Tennessee sporting company that has always offered a good product, as well as great service.
    Been using their wading boots for about 6 years now.
    Lightweight, comfortable, fast-drying, affordable and durable, plus they look like wading boots.
    First pair was the Abrams model. Never did really wear them out, just upgraded to the STL's.

Check them out! I see they are an FAOL sponsor also!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    I would return the boots to Weinbrenner for resoling. When my friend owned the company, they would resole and even repair the boots at a very reasonable cost. I have studded soles and they last longer than the unstudded felt soles.

You can call them at 715-356-5521 for options and pricing. Wenbrenner has a factory outlet store that occasionaly has seconds of wading boots. They will also send you first quality boots at wholesale plus a UPS shipping fee through the factory outlet store.
    Are you sure that number is correct? I tried to call them but was told the number is no longer in service.

Quote Originally Posted by deepcreek View Post
    Are you sure that number is correct? I tried to call them but was told the number is no longer in service.
    Check this out http://www.wadingshoesusa.com/resoling/index.html

I must say the Weinbrenner appeals to me with the stacked heel, gotta be more stable than the incorporated kind. I have a cheap pair of Orvis now that are starting to need replacing. My biggest beef with the Orvis is they are soooo tight when I first put them on. Is shrinking a prob with the Weinbrenner? When ordering is adding 2 sizes to your normal shoe size a good rule of thumb? I havent had much luck with ordering footware size wise.

+ Reply to Thread