+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your preferred wading boot?

I have real wide feet with a high arch and have found the Simms Freestones to be the most comfortable (I like a size 12 boot for my size 10 feet). However they're felt sole and since MD is banning felt come Jan 1, 2011, I'm going to have to replace them; am leaning towards the Freestones (studded Vibram) again.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I have real wide feet with a high arch and have found the Simms Freestones to be the most comfortable (I like a size 12 boot for my size 10 feet). However they're felt sole and since MD is banning felt come Jan 1, 2011, I'm going to have to replace them; am leaning towards the Freestones (studded Vibram) again.

Regards,
    Scott
    The Maryland felt ban is under consideration but NOT implemented.

The last time I checked with DNR which was about three weeks ago, the agency hadn't yet been asked to write the proposal, let alone submit it for consideration. I was told there was essentially no chance it could all happen by Jan 1, 2010 since there would also be a 90 day review period AFTER all of the paperwork was done. In other words, you still have time to enjoy your Freestones!

[QUOTE=Mato Kuwapi;389688]My current boots, which I purchase this past spring, are the best I've ever had... Orvis River Guard Side Zip Brogue Boots with EcoTrax soles. I left a review on the site. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...subcat_id=6047

I agree with Mato. These are great boots! My only complaint is that the laces are a bit long, which I mentioned in my review on the site.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    The Maryland felt ban is under consideration but NOT implemented.

The last time I checked with DNR which was about three weeks ago, the agency hadn't yet been asked to write the proposal, let alone submit it for consideration. I was told there was essentially no chance it could all happen by Jan 1, 2010 since there would also be a 90 day review period AFTER all of the paperwork was done. In other words, you still have time to enjoy your Freestones!
    Thanks for the heads-up although I may go ahead and replace them anyway since the boots have other issues and Simms says they'll swap them for the studded Vibrams at 1/2 price.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Mato Kuwapi View Post
    My current boots, which I purchase this past spring, are the best I've ever had... Orvis River Guard Side Zip Brogue Boots with EcoTrax soles. I left a review on the site. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...subcat_id=6047
    I have the studded felt version of these and I am quite happy with them.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Default A vote for Simms.

Of my five pairs on boots, four wading and one flats / tuber. I still trust felt overall and I prefer the feel of leather over synthetic uppers. However, in rivers where I primarily find little moss, mid to small sized cobble and gravel, the studded rubber soles are fine.

Best, Dave

My Boots.jpg

I use the Weinbrenner (Gary Borger model) propex boot with studs. I'm still wearing the prototype of this boot. It 's about 15 years old.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Simms guide boots with studded high density felt. Comfy, plenty of ankle support, and very stable on snot.

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to reply.

[QUOTE=anglerdave;389739]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mato Kuwapi View Post
    My current boots, which I purchase this past spring, are the best I've ever had... Orvis River Guard Side Zip Brogue Boots with EcoTrax soles. I left a review on the site. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...subcat_id=6047

I agree with Mato. These are great boots! My only complaint is that the laces are a bit long, which I mentioned in my review on the site.
    LEAVE THE LACES ALONE!! LOL!!! They are perfectly to my liking. It's the first pair of wading boots I've had where the laces are long enough. I can double knot them so they don't come undone and they also help in pulling up the zipper. My tender fingers don't like doing that, especially after they get all cracked from the cold dry air in Colorado or here during steelhead season.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread