+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Possie Bugger - Good all around fly

Hybrid View

Default Possie Bugger - Good all around fly

This fly caught my eye a while back and luv working with Possum. Picked up a couple of possum skins and a whole bunch of Ause Possum hide pieces from an Ebay auction. Great stuff to work with and make great dubbing.

Got my son-in-law hooked on fly fishing about a year ago but has no interest to tie his own flies .... go figure So I tie a bunch of flies now and then and send them to him.

This is a great pattern to tie and just a good fly to have. Fairly easy to tie. I stuck to the original pattern pretty closely except I use small wire to counter wrap the pearl flashabou ribbing for durability. Got the idea from a Youtube video. I like using the curved nymph hooks as they seem to have a more life like profile then the straight hooks.

Hook: TMC 200r #8
    Bead: to fit hook
    Weight: lead tape wrapped front 1/3 of shank.
    Tail: Ause Possum w/Pearl Flashabou
    Body: Nat., Ause Possum
    Ribbing: Pearl Flashabou w/sm. copper wire counter wrapped
    Hackle: Partridge or Grouse
    Throax: Ause Possum w/Blk & Olive Rabbit mixed
    6/0 Blk Thread

Hope you like it. Sorry about the poor quality pic not the best camera in the world.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mickalo; 10-20-2010 at 12:34 AM.
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Hi Mike,

My closest friend used one for about an hour when he and his family and my wife and I were in Yellowstone last year, and he caught the 2nd largest fish of the trip on that fly.

Good pattern.

Regards,

Gandolf

Thanks Gandolf. I'm in the process of tying a dozen of these in a size 12 for a fly swap. Never tied one smaller then a 10 so it should be interesting.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

mickalo,

Never used American pahsum, but have a batch of Australian that I've used for years. It's bleached a Light Cahill shade. Have to check out the American stuff sometime. Liked your fly - very buggy! Ever try possum on a half shell (armadillo)? No? Me neither! LOL!!! Pardon my sense of humor. I just can't help myself!

Best regards, Dave S.

Quote Originally Posted by fishdog54 View Post
    mickalo,

Never used American pahsum, but have a batch of Australian that I've used for years. It's bleached a Light Cahill shade. Have to check out the American stuff sometime. Liked your fly - very buggy! Ever try possum on a half shell (armadillo)? No? Me neither! LOL!!! Pardon my sense of humor. I just can't help myself!

Best regards, Dave S.
    HAA! .... when I lived down south in Louisiana those armadillos were all over the place! Some really nasty critters. Like to see someone come up with fly pattern using one of those hides.

I found an Ebay seller that sells Ause Possum in large quanities at a good price. So when they have in I stock up on it. Otherwise hard to find. Got a couple of reqular possum skins I use for dubbing but the Ause Possum is so much better.

Mike

That fly looks great, Mike!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread