+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Children The "Untapped" resource

ok..that is fricking adorable...
    My mom says it's all physics. I say that's my problem.. Just look at my old report cards....

Default Thanks so much and good on ya!

Hi there!

What a great thread, I totally agree - and have seen the effects of kids on the water - there's a joy that just doesn't seem to get out in the digital world. I remember I always cared more about fishing and building forts in the woods as a kid than playing video games. - you know, getting your hands dirty and seeing the natural world - like an explorer!

I heard that some high schools are starting up fishing clubs - which is great! but wouldn't it be better if they started out younger? At the age of high school, some kids are already angling professionally, and newcomers would find it hard to join clubs without experience... the younger the better. I'm so happy you're out there instructing the teachers to go out and teach their kids about nature and fishing... keep us updated on what you do, and all the best!

Here is a great program put on by ASF that I have been involved with, unfortunatley I beleive it is soon to be reorganized

http://www.asf.ca/magic.php.

http://www.asf.ca/fish_friends.php

Hi,

This thread started out great, and only got better! It's so great to see so many efforts to get kids outdoors, and to spread the word about it.

We've had a high school fly fishing club for a dozen years or more, and teach every 8h grader (200 a year) to cast a fly rod. It's very do-able. There are a couple national efforts to expand fly fishing into phys ed programs; the next Fly Rod and Reel will have an article; National Fly Fishing in Schools is expamding; the "Last Child in the Woods" movement has great steam.

Great time to be young

Kat

+ Reply to Thread