+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Children The "Untapped" resource

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Children The "Untapped" resource

Every spring the adults get together at the Wisconsin Conservation Congress Meeting. Lots of people have agendas. The trout people are the worst of all. They want to you believe them and their reasoning for keeping more trout and then the other group gives their reasoning for keeping less trout. After they are done jousting and basically break even they go back to their hunting and fishing clubs and talk bad about the "other" side. Most of the hearings I have gone to I have noticed a startling fact. The make up of the crowd at the hearing. There are hardly ever any children at these meetings. Most times I think that is a good thing because the adults in the crowds tend to act like children and are "very" inflexible. It is their way or the highway.

Two years ago I decided that the Conservation Congress meetings could go on without me. I decided to focus my attention on the "best" resource we have out there. It is right under these combatants noses. It is the children at home and in our communities. Many children these days are leaving the woods and the streams. They prefer their game boys and computers. The next generation is not being taught the way of the stream and field. I am on a one man crusade to try to change that in my little corner of the world that is Southwestern Wisconsin.

Last fall I was asked to speak at the Madison Fishing Expo 2010. I jumped at the opportunity. I saw it as a hands on avenue to redirect some of the children from my area in to the great outdoors. I spoke both days of the Expo. My presentations both days were focused on getting children out and experience the wonders of nature. I also walked the expo floor and talked with many children and tried to get them on the right path. The last day ended and I thought to myself: "What more can I do to get kids in to the outdoors?"

May came along and I was given the answer to that question. One of my friends that is a guidance counselor at Desoto High School asked if I would do an end of the year presentation on the "Great Outdoors" at her school. I answered with a resounding yes. I spoke to many children. They seemed like dry sponges that just wanting to be pointed in the right direction. I was rewarded with a noon lunch in the cafeteria with a table full of eager children that had just been introduced to the great outdoors. These children were taught by me how to be good stewards of the land and streams.

I decided to look for more opportunities like this. I saw the town I lived inn (Richland Center) had a Fish Camp for the Summer Recreation Department. I contacted my friend that ran it and asked if I got influence some more potential trout anglers. I taught them proper handling techniques and unhooking techniques for trout. I also taught them responsible harvest. The waste not want not theory was emphasized also. I taught the children to "not" blindly release an injured trout. Trout are not play things or objects like golf balls or bats to be discarded after use. I am sure I turned at least 10 of the children (boys and girls) in to responsible trout anglers.

My mission is clearly not done. I was approached by the manager of the Effigy Mounds Park. He asked me if I wanted to present to teachers in the "Teach The Teachers" program they have every year at the park. Teachers I thought? Who has more contact with children and many generations of children than a teacher? The teachers gained continued eduction credits for listening to my presentation. They asked many questions and promised me they would go back to their classrooms and spread the word.

I will be speaking at the Rosemont, Illinois Great Outdoors Show January 26 through the 30th ,2011. One of my presentations every day of the weekend will be called Angling 101. This presentation will be focused on the novice angler and the young anglers. I am very much looking forward to expanding my range in to Illinois and tapping the untapped resource down there. You kids get your parents to take you to the show. Please mom and dad don't leave the daughters at home. They can catch fish as well as any boy

Spinner, bless you about a billion times! What you're doing with youngsters and their guides is fantastic. I've thoroughly enjoyed your posts and pix but this has value way above your other wonderful efforts. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebrook View Post
    Spinner, bless you about a billion times! What you're doing with youngsters and their guides is fantastic. I've thoroughly enjoyed your posts and pix but this has value way above your other wonderful efforts. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Bill
    Agree x a million

great timing as my 5 year old daughter has showed a keen interest in wanting to flyfish with Dad...

Can any members offer any suggestions on an outfit suitable for the wee ones.. The theroy of taking her where she will be just about gaureented fish is understood..

Thks

Temple Forks Outfitters has a rod called the Bug Launcher- it's made with an extended reel seat to make it easier for little ahnds to use two if they need it and the handle is a little tighter to the blank so it's easier for them to get their hands around it. Plus- it's 79 bucks... that no fault warranty that's their bread and butter is still there- pretty good deal I think.

and Redington has their Minnow series, scecifically designed to be a begining child's first rod. it's about 100 bucks.

NEver tried either of these. but I know I am loyal to the TFO rods. Never cast a redington.

another idea is to go for a tenkara setup. it's simple, easy and might be good for kids. check out tenkarausa.com ?
    Last edited by papaguss; 10-21-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: thought of something else.
    My mom says it's all physics. I say that's my problem.. Just look at my old report cards....

It is not only fly fishing. All sportsmen and women need to get youth involved in the outdoor sports.

Fortunately, I live in the largest rural county in Wisconsin. And our DNR is proactive. One of our enforcement officers, Randy Falstad, has founded a Youth Heritage Sports Day. We host over 300 youngsters and teach them the outdoors sports with volunteers from about 40 sporting organizations and companies.

Some of the local organizations are Trout Unlimited, Ducks Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Walleyes for Tomorrow, Wi. Waterfowl Assoc., Wi. Trappers Assoc., Wi. Bow Hunter's Assoc., Weston Hunter Safety Instructors, Weston Trap Club, Rib Mountain Bowmen, Rib mountain Muzzleloaders, National Wild Turkey Foundation. Muddy Waters Retriever Club, Bill's Musky Club, Friends of Mead Wildlife Area. Marathon County Fish and Game Club, Wisconsin Deer Hunters, and the North Central Wi. Gun Club, etc.

We are oversubscribed and not all the children can be accommodated in our location. In our area, parents want their children to be involved in the outdoor sports. They are willing to have their kids fire rifles and bows and to learn firearm safety. That may surprise those of you who live in an urban environment.

Our TU chapter teaches fly casting and fly tying. Here are some photos.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Youth Sporting Day continued.

The following shows Randy Falstad greeting the volunteers.

Here are some of the other volunteer venues.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Thank you for posting this! I am completely in agreement and though I don't speak at any sort of conferences, am doing what I can, in Iowa and Missouri, to teach kids about the privilege, responsibility, and FUN that are all part of experiencing our Earth.

Maybe someday there will be a Young Angler's Conference... hmm......
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Default Thanks so much and good on ya!

Hi there!

What a great thread, I totally agree - and have seen the effects of kids on the water - there's a joy that just doesn't seem to get out in the digital world. I remember I always cared more about fishing and building forts in the woods as a kid than playing video games. - you know, getting your hands dirty and seeing the natural world - like an explorer!

I heard that some high schools are starting up fishing clubs - which is great! but wouldn't it be better if they started out younger? At the age of high school, some kids are already angling professionally, and newcomers would find it hard to join clubs without experience... the younger the better. I'm so happy you're out there instructing the teachers to go out and teach their kids about nature and fishing... keep us updated on what you do, and all the best!

Here is a great program put on by ASF that I have been involved with, unfortunatley I beleive it is soon to be reorganized

http://www.asf.ca/magic.php.

http://www.asf.ca/fish_friends.php

Hi,

This thread started out great, and only got better! It's so great to see so many efforts to get kids outdoors, and to spread the word about it.

We've had a high school fly fishing club for a dozen years or more, and teach every 8h grader (200 a year) to cast a fly rod. It's very do-able. There are a couple national efforts to expand fly fishing into phys ed programs; the next Fly Rod and Reel will have an article; National Fly Fishing in Schools is expamding; the "Last Child in the Woods" movement has great steam.

Great time to be young

Kat

+ Reply to Thread