Every spring the adults get together at the Wisconsin Conservation Congress Meeting. Lots of people have agendas. The trout people are the worst of all. They want to you believe them and their reasoning for keeping more trout and then the other group gives their reasoning for keeping less trout. After they are done jousting and basically break even they go back to their hunting and fishing clubs and talk bad about the "other" side. Most of the hearings I have gone to I have noticed a startling fact. The make up of the crowd at the hearing. There are hardly ever any children at these meetings. Most times I think that is a good thing because the adults in the crowds tend to act like children and are "very" inflexible. It is their way or the highway.

Two years ago I decided that the Conservation Congress meetings could go on without me. I decided to focus my attention on the "best" resource we have out there. It is right under these combatants noses. It is the children at home and in our communities. Many children these days are leaving the woods and the streams. They prefer their game boys and computers. The next generation is not being taught the way of the stream and field. I am on a one man crusade to try to change that in my little corner of the world that is Southwestern Wisconsin.

Last fall I was asked to speak at the Madison Fishing Expo 2010. I jumped at the opportunity. I saw it as a hands on avenue to redirect some of the children from my area in to the great outdoors. I spoke both days of the Expo. My presentations both days were focused on getting children out and experience the wonders of nature. I also walked the expo floor and talked with many children and tried to get them on the right path. The last day ended and I thought to myself: "What more can I do to get kids in to the outdoors?"

May came along and I was given the answer to that question. One of my friends that is a guidance counselor at Desoto High School asked if I would do an end of the year presentation on the "Great Outdoors" at her school. I answered with a resounding yes. I spoke to many children. They seemed like dry sponges that just wanting to be pointed in the right direction. I was rewarded with a noon lunch in the cafeteria with a table full of eager children that had just been introduced to the great outdoors. These children were taught by me how to be good stewards of the land and streams.

I decided to look for more opportunities like this. I saw the town I lived inn (Richland Center) had a Fish Camp for the Summer Recreation Department. I contacted my friend that ran it and asked if I got influence some more potential trout anglers. I taught them proper handling techniques and unhooking techniques for trout. I also taught them responsible harvest. The waste not want not theory was emphasized also. I taught the children to "not" blindly release an injured trout. Trout are not play things or objects like golf balls or bats to be discarded after use. I am sure I turned at least 10 of the children (boys and girls) in to responsible trout anglers.

My mission is clearly not done. I was approached by the manager of the Effigy Mounds Park. He asked me if I wanted to present to teachers in the "Teach The Teachers" program they have every year at the park. Teachers I thought? Who has more contact with children and many generations of children than a teacher? The teachers gained continued eduction credits for listening to my presentation. They asked many questions and promised me they would go back to their classrooms and spread the word.

I will be speaking at the Rosemont, Illinois Great Outdoors Show January 26 through the 30th ,2011. One of my presentations every day of the weekend will be called Angling 101. This presentation will be focused on the novice angler and the young anglers. I am very much looking forward to expanding my range in to Illinois and tapping the untapped resource down there. You kids get your parents to take you to the show. Please mom and dad don't leave the daughters at home. They can catch fish as well as any boy