+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly Tying Class Lesson Plans?

Thank you for the comments. I had forgotten about Al's notes. I haven't looked at them in years, but they are good.

I really appreciate the comments from those of you that have taught a series of classes. You have given some very useful comments.

Thank you,
    Rex

Rex, good luck - if you use Al's lessons you will be in good company. I have given hundreds of groups permission to print them out and use them as a hand-out for classes. Feel free to do that as well if you wish. Some of our readers are in out-of-the-way places and don't have anyone else to help them, they've learned to tie just from Al's lessons and do very well thank you! He put a lot of thought into the series and we're very pleased to be able to continue to share that information. The only thing we ask is to include a credit to FAOL if you use them as a hand-out. Have fun with the classes!

Normand Guest

1. tools - what are they good for - layout the tools of the trade and explain each one. some may have an idea of what they or what they do, others may not

2. thread - lets break some thread- teaches thread control

3. materials - layout some materials for a show and tell

4. hackles and feathers - explain the various types of hackles & feathers used in fly tying. everything from soft hackles to dry fly hackles

5. tie a simple fly. string thing, brassie, buckskin nymph, griffiths gnat etc etc etc

The class I learned went:

Bugger, Hare's Ear, EHC.

If I was to add to that, I'd go...

foam ant/beetle, Catskill, Parachute.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Rex, good luck - if you use Al's lessons you will be in good company. I have given hundreds of groups permission to print them out and use them as a hand-out for classes. Feel free to do that as well if you wish. Some of our readers are in out-of-the-way places and don't have anyone else to help them, they've learned to tie just from Al's lessons and do very well thank you! He put a lot of thought into the series and we're very pleased to be able to continue to share that information. The only thing we ask is to include a credit to FAOL if you use them as a hand-out. Have fun with the classes!
    Thank you very much.

Rex

Kevin, I too work with scouts. First, for next to nothing they can make a simple whip finish tool using a toothpick and some mono. And have you seen Extemely Low Budget FF site? GREAT for older Cubs to Boy Scout working on their FLy Fishing Merit badge - http://edengelman.com/. I love his options for $5 or less flytying vices that the kids can make and then use themselves.

I was a Cub Camp Day Camp Program Director for many years and one year we had a High Seas Adventure theme. We had the scouts tie their ownflies on one day (THANKS TO OUR LOCAL TROUT UNLIMITED!) and the next day the kids made their own 6" cane pole and then had a fishing derby. Lots of smiles and we had 8 (of 64 total) scouts still fishing two hours AFTER the camp day ended. At least a dozen kids had never fished before and now they are catching fish on a pole they made. We had lots of Kodak moments - and some warm feelings with the staff! YEP, lots of fun!

+ Reply to Thread