+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying Class Lesson Plans?

Hybrid View

Default Fly Tying Class Lesson Plans?

Does anyone have a basic lesson plan for a fly tying class that they would be willing to share?

I've been asked for a beginining fly tying class that would meet for an hour a week and run for 4 to 6 weeks. Class size will be small and other than a small fee to help cover material costs it will be a free class.

I've done some individual teaching, but I have not taught a formal series of classes. So, before I reinvent the wheel, I was wondering if someone has already done something similar and would be willing share their lesson plan.

My thoughts are that each week a new tying skill would be introduced and then a fly would be tied to use that new technique. For example 1st week tools and basic info and then tye a very simple fly, 2nd week how to dubb and then tye nymph using dubbing, 3rd week some other technique. I am thinking a mixture of trout, warmwater, and maybe a simple saltwater pattern or two, but with focus on the tying techniques more than the pattern.

Anyone have some suggestions/advice that they would be willing to share?

Thanks,
    Rex

The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

RexW,

Before I retired from the local college here, I taught a Beginner's Fly Tying class twice a year. What I thought would only last for about a year, lasted 14 years and it was the most enjoyable class to teach and I miss teaching it since the college no longer offers the class since I retired. There is only one place to get a basic lesson plan and that is right here on FAOL. Go to the home page and in the menu on the left, click on Fly Tying. There you will find Al Campbell's tying lessons. There is a Beginners, Intermediate and an Advanced section. Each section is broken down into steps and it is all you will ever need to put your lesson plan together. The class I taught only allowed 6 students which allows for one-on-one instructions and was held every Thursday evening from 6-9pm for 5 weeks. I furnished all equipment, tools, material and class hand outs for each student. It sure was a great time and you will really enjoy it.

Make sure to check out Al's pages. You will find everything you need right there. Trust me on this......Al was a great person and I sure do miss him.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Add a third suggestion to use Al's lessons. Al made sure that his lessons built technique on technique. From the classes I've done, you can't spend too much time on thread control.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Warren, my hat's off to you and others who enjoy passing on the knowledge and experience acquired throughout the years. For this is how I began my fly fishing fixation back in 2002. As rod building, fly tying and basics/advanced, were courses offered at Oregon State University. Now through my years I too enjoy passing on the knowledge (how little that may be) to others. So far I've been able to get nine others "hooked" as well.

Cheers

Blog Entries

I love to teach. Seeing the light bulbs of understanding go on is very rewarding. I not only teach fly tying for the Scouts, I help train adult leaders in the various aspects of Scouting up to and including the most advanced training the Scouts offer, Wood Badge, which is the same training

My experience with teaching fly tying is much different than what you have before you. Working with the Hooked on Tahosa program with the Scouts gives me about 2 hours to have the boys tie 2-3 flies. Naturally, I go with dead simple flies, the patterns of which I devised to make them easy to tie and quick to teach.

We start with a size 18 red midge. This one teaches rudimentary thread control. Mount the hook in the vice, start your red thread, back to the bend, back to 1 eye's width back of the eye, wind on a little lump for a thorax, wind a small head, finish with a few half hitches, cement and done. We don't have time to show them how to use a whip finish tool or do it by hand.

From there, we do a D-rib nymph and a foam ant, both of which are very simple to tie. At the end of the tying, the boys either go out for a couple of hours of casting lessons or go fishing. Those 3 flies are proven winners on that lake so the boys have an excellent chance of catching fish with them and they often do.

My classes are small. I have no more than 6 to a sitting and most times have a helper that can assist with showing how to wind thread on the hook, which direction to go, etc. We learn terminology as we go.

To see one of those boys catch a fish on a fly they tied that afternoon, is almost as big a thrill as I got the first time it happened for me. Of course, there isn't much time to bask in the glory of the moment. Now you are teaching how to fight the fish, land it, and how to remove the hook and release the fish, and trying to take pics all at the same time. It is all way too much fun.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Kevin, I too work with scouts. First, for next to nothing they can make a simple whip finish tool using a toothpick and some mono. And have you seen Extemely Low Budget FF site? GREAT for older Cubs to Boy Scout working on their FLy Fishing Merit badge - http://edengelman.com/. I love his options for $5 or less flytying vices that the kids can make and then use themselves.

I was a Cub Camp Day Camp Program Director for many years and one year we had a High Seas Adventure theme. We had the scouts tie their ownflies on one day (THANKS TO OUR LOCAL TROUT UNLIMITED!) and the next day the kids made their own 6" cane pole and then had a fishing derby. Lots of smiles and we had 8 (of 64 total) scouts still fishing two hours AFTER the camp day ended. At least a dozen kids had never fished before and now they are catching fish on a pole they made. We had lots of Kodak moments - and some warm feelings with the staff! YEP, lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by RexW View Post
    Does anyone have a basic lesson plan for a fly tying class that they would be willing to share?
    There is a basic template most beginning classes follow (e.g. bugger->nymph->dry), and the amount of material/patterns covered is determined by time. An hour a week for 4-6 weeks seems like a very tight schedule. For example, my classes are usually 3-4 3 hour sessions and we start with thread midges and finish with parachutes. From what I've seen, this is a much more average pace.

Regardless, in my mind you have the right attitude in that patterns are unimportant, learning techniques are key. The other recommendation I would make is that mastering fundamentals is critical, so each class must build on the techniques learned in the previous class. With a short class, emphasizing homework where the students do work on their own may help expedite the learning process.

With your format I would keep the flies simple, and make sure you quickly demonstrate the fly before having the class tie, if you go that route (usually the method one uses). I imagine you will not be able to do more than a pattern a class, and you may want to consider just doing a couple of basic patterns with many variants rather than focussing on many patterns. I would also recommend you keep the classes small (6 or less), because it will be easier to manage.

Good luck.

I took an afternoon class from a lady when I started tying. She had a totally different approach to teaching tying that I think worked great. She taught me no fly patterns. No wooly bugger, no dry flies, no specific patterns at all. What she did teach was various tying techniques. Things like the following:

Starting thread
    whip finishing
    tying materials on in various ways
    spinning deer hair
    palmering hackle
    tying on tails
    etc
    etc

In the end I had a bunch of hooks with various materials applied, but no flies to fish with. What I took away was the knowledge of how to apply various materials to a hook. I found that I was able to tie a lot of different fly patterns just by applying the techniques I learned. I thought this was a great way to teach!

Wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Good for you, my first and only tying lesson was a woolly bugger from there I just went ahead and started tying on my own, even before i started fly fishing. If I had the opportunity to have taken a beginners tying class, I would have, but luckily I had a friend who had been tying a lot longer than I that could pass things along, between him and some books I bought I've become good enough to tie flies that i'll catch fish with. But one thing I picked up along the way working at a summer camp a couple years ago, we did one day that was devoted to fly fishing and one segment was on tying, and we had the kids tying a maple syrup fly. But it really helps to have a guy or two with you when actually tying the fly during the class to sit at each table or to wander and help out, as it is hard for people to really see what you are doing and it definitely helps things go smoother with a little help.

+ Reply to Thread