+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CIVILITY - Readers Cast (Lew Cramer) - October 18, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default CIVILITY - Readers Cast (Lew Cramer) - October 18, 2010

CIVILITY

I?ve noticed a phenomenon in the several years that I?ve been following this site, and others, which is sometimes mildly disturbing, and at other times distressing. It?s a little hard to identify or quantify, but I?m going to take a stab at it. It deals with opinions and expertise, and the willingness to share one or both.

Lew,

I suppose it's easy sometimes to drag the baggage of everyday life onto FAOL where it could rear its ugly head. Thanks for the reminder. I will re-dedicate my efforts to watch my Ps and Qs and be a more positive role model. 99.9% of my (short) experience on FAOL has not just been positive, but at times inspirational! This site takes a back seat to no one when it comes to civility. IMHO.

Best regards, Dave S. (fishdog54)

I used to belong to a BB down Utah way, but got beat up so often as well as had to put up with the bad language, that I finally said "enough" and walked away and haven't missed it once since. I can only imagine what those guys on that board must be like when on the water and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them.

On the other hand, there are many here at FAOL that I have met and fished with, as well as many others I would consider it a priviledge to fish with any time or any where.

It takes courage to live a higher standard as well as to expect it of others. I don't force my beliefs on anyone, yet I do expect a sense of civility, tact, personal fothrightness and pride from others, since I will always try to give the same. My mother said it best, "do unto others...", and I try to be that type of person. Bad language and bad behaviors don't have a place anywhere, ever. There's no excuse for lack of character and decorum when interacting with each other.

Anyway, 'nuff said, just my 2-cents. Thanks for the article that is and will be thought-provoking for some time to come.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Thanks for the comments guys. I have to agree that this is the best board in all categories that I've seen. The Board that Kelly was referring to is the same one, I'm sure, that I referred to in the article. The same few people comprise most of the posters on that board, and I can't help but believe that it's because others who'd like to give input or ask questions know that they are risking getting their ego singed at best, and being downright castigated at worst. Unless we guard against that attitude, it proliferates. FAOL does a great job of doing that. What I was trying for in the article is a bit more subtle. Natural reluctance to post ideas, opinions, fly patterns, reports, etc, because of fear of not measuring up to presumed expertise is what I refer to. I suspect there are those who could greatly enrich the FAOL experience, if we would overcome this reluctance. I'll never live enough years to get as good at fly fishing as a couple of guys I introduced to the sport several years ago. I count that as part of my effort at keeping the sport alive. I've dipped my toe into writing a little. If you'll notice, I haven't tried to teach anybody anything about equipment, tying, technique, entomology, or a whole myriad of other related topics. Natural reluctance at work. I hope some of those thing I've written will enlighten, encourage, or maybe entertain a bit. If not, at least the attempt was made. To everyone within the sound of my voice, take an inventory of your skill and talents, and see what things may be there to contribute. You all have them.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

FAOL seems to have a great supply of knowledgable, considerate, experienced anglers in their stables. Most have the ability to listen as well as comment. I have been on others where this is not so. I like it here.

Godspeed,

Bob

Lew,

I agree with completely this time, but if I did not I would respect your right to be wrong (or different). By and large I would have to say the folks that contribute regularly to FAOL are about the best bunch I have run across. I believe most would be folks I could enjoy spending an hour, a day or a week in their company. I also realize there might be certain subjects like politics that we would never agree on, heck I have that in my own family.

Although I am a great fan in maintaining our warriors, we probably should mostly try to be diplomats. A little Christian love and respect goes a long way.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

There are one heck of a bunch of good people here on FAOL, I was thinking the other day that it would be
    tuff if some how we were not able to stay in touch through this site.

I hope those who have become friends here have phone numbers, addresses exchanged....

Just saying...
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

+ Reply to Thread