+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling a fly

Default Trolling a fly

Let's say you wanted to troll a fly while padding a kayak on a sink-tip or even a sinking fly line. Might as well fish while you're going from place to place.

Would you rig that similarly to the way you would rig if you were casting? With a short leader -- 4' or so?

BFB,

I tried trolling a time or two while crossing wide open areas of lakes. Didn't have a clue if I was doing it right, and I might not have been because I never caught anything or even had any hits. Because both my hands were constantly occupied controlling my canoe paddle, the whole time I was scared to death that a large fish (wiper especially) might nail my Clouser and run so fast that my rod would instantly get yanked overboard and lost -- or get snapped in half before I could even grab it.

Hopefully some others will post replies to your question. Rick Z. told me once that he occasionally trolls while crossing ponds, so maybe he'll weigh in with some info once he reads this.

Trolling a fly from a self-propelled craft is a most interesting idea. Any FAOL-er who's done it ought to write a story about it. I for one would be all ears.

Joe

"Better small than not at all."

I'm sure it's not the case in all areas but it is illegal in the fly only areas in Maine. Cost a buddy 250.00 and all he did was move from one side of a pond to the other with his fly dragging along.

------------------

BFB,

Visit this site [url=http://www.flyfishinginmaine.com/:5040d]http://www.flyfishinginmaine.com/[/url:5040d]

Guys there should be able to help. There's guys on that board that troll streamers all the time.

My father aways told me that you can't catch a fish if your line's not in the water.
    In the salt I often troll when moving from spot to spot
    You can buy or make rod holders for your kayak, but I just hold the rod over one leg and beneath the other knee.
    When you get a hit, you may or may not get a hook up, but at least you will know where the fish are.
    Use a short leader for sinking lines, longer for floating.
    No sense in tying on a different leader if you're going to be casting again in a few minutes anyway.

------------------
    "such a day, Rum all out.
    Our Company somewhat sober.
    A damn'd Confusion amongst us!
    Rouges a plotting; great Talk of Separtion,
    So I look'd sharp for a prize; such a Day took one,
    with a great deal of Liquor on board,
    so kept the Company hot,
    then all Things were well again."

Blackbeard's Log
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

When moving from spot to spot I always have the fly in the water.
    Many times you find fish in places that you would not expect them to be.

I also troll many times whne the wind is blowing to hard to cast very well.
    With my casting ability that does not have to be very fast.

Rick

I "troll" when I am heading out on a lake to the spot Iwant to fish. I use the seame length leader as when I am casting. I have often found new fishing spots that way

With my Hobie pontoon trolling is a very valid tool to use. I *always* have a fly in the water when I'm simply moving from one place to another. Oftentimes that is the best presention. I use the same set-up that I cast - 9' leader, weighted fly. The only change I'll make is to the fly; I troll wooly buggers or other streamers.

There is a natural move-glide motion to moving either under fin or oar power. The fly surges ahead on the pull stroke and slows slightly on the glide before the next power stroke. One place that this works really well is along a "weed wall". If the wind is blowing enough to constantly throw you out of position to cast trolling may be the only presention you can use and still maintaine control. It's also a very good way to locate schools of fish.

You need a rod holder, of course, if you are using oars or paddles and I think one of the best is the Scottie flyrod holder.

There are some states [and maybe some areas withing states] where its against the law, as noted above. Be sure and check this out. But if you reject trolling a fly because "it's not fly fishing" you'll be passing on a great tool! You can troll full sinking lines with buggers or leeches and short leaders but that generally requires a change in rods or at least a change in reel spools. I generally don't take the trouble to do this altho I do have a full sinker on my 5 wt rod's extra spool.

Donald

[This message has been edited by beadleech (edited 21 March 2006).]

When moving from one place to another in my 'yak I usually leave my line in the water (troll). I sometimes catch fish and it leaves me in the best position to get off a quick cast.

In the salt, it is one of my main methods of fishing.

jed

Can't say as I've done any trolling but I do a considerable amount of drift fishing for crappies. Starting up wind on a lake using a sink tip and small wooly buggers or clousers. I will cast out then just drift with the wind across the lake. Works very well on some days. It even entices a northern once in a while.

+ Reply to Thread