+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappie on a clouser

Default crappie on a clouser

I fished with a 9' 2 wt & a # 10 clouser this morning.

That should have been a ball on that rod, that's a nice crappie especially for a big city fish.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Nice set-up and nice crappie Bill. Go get um !!

Bass_Bug Guest

SWEET!!!! Nice looking reel too, what is it?

Great minds! I've been having fair success recently with #10 and #8 beadchain eye Kraft Fur Clousers, in chartreuse...for crappies, bass and bluegills.
    Good job!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I was fishing for smallies out of a boat last fall and happened upon two guys in a canoe still fishing with minnows and bobbers. As I was upstream from them I caught and released three nice crappie and as I went by them they asked what I was catching them on. I told them a clouser and they didn't have a clue. I then said it was a minnow imitation and they didn't believe me because they were fishing with real minnows and not catching anything.
    I threw a clouser beside their canoe moved it a couple of feet so they could see the motion. They saw a flash and I had another crappie on. I caught and released two more downstream from them. I don't know if they were impressed or upset, but it was fun!

You just can't beat a clouser for a great all around baitfish imitator that's for sure. The very first bass I caught on a fly rod was with a size 6 clouser using some fluorescent dyed bucktail. Haven't nailed a crappie yet though

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Quote Originally Posted by turvy View Post
    I was fishing for smallies out of a boat last fall and happened upon two guys in a canoe still fishing with minnows and bobbers. As I was upstream from them I caught and released three nice crappie and as I went by them they asked what I was catching them on. I told them a clouser and they didn't have a clue. I then said it was a minnow imitation and they didn't believe me because they were fishing with real minnows and not catching anything.
    I threw a clouser beside their canoe moved it a couple of feet so they could see the motion. They saw a flash and I had another crappie on. I caught and released two more downstream from them. I don't know if they were impressed or upset, but it was fun!
    Yep! My son and I had the same thing happen a few years back. We were on a prairie lake in central MN and unbeknownst to us we were being watched by a game warden as we took many a fish on small Clousers. We put them all back too only I guess he didn't see that as he came over and asked to look inside my live well.

I took another right as he pulled up and let it go. He didn't believe me as he peeked inside the two live wells on my boat!

I also told him a Clouser took them...just hair and lead eyes I said. He just smiled and said not to tell "...those two other guys in the boat over there..." then left!

Jeremy.

the reel is the Thinkfish Bold. It is a semi automatic fly reel from Spain. Now semi automatic fly reels are not at all like the old heavy automatic fly reels of yesteryear. Semi automatics have adjustable drags, extractable spools for line changing, lots of room for backing and the Bold has a spool that can be "palmed" for control of unruly fish.

That is a very neat looking reel! If you don't mind sharing, what is the price range of that reel?
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread