+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knotted legs

Hybrid View

Question Knotted legs

Just call me,"thumbs" but I cannot succeed at tying knotted legs from barbules of Pheasant tail feathers.
    I recall seeing some feathers available that had the fibers pre-knotted while still attached to the quill.
    Does anyone recall who the supplier was ? Thanks.

I think Spirit river makes them as well.

Blog Entries

They are expensive, buy the tool, and make your own, I did and now can use and make different sizes.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

I use an electrical test clip from Radio Shack to knot feather barbules and everything else. It just takes a little practice. There a little trick to wrapping the barbs around the tip and then poking it through the center of the knot.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Bass_Bug Guest

We had a conversation on this several months ago, but haven't found the thread yet.

Search for "Legs on a stick" as in
    http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-...n-a-stick.aspx

If you're not using one of these
    http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/special...046000002.aspx
    or something to knot your own very similar you should get one. Available at most fly shops and shorter versions at most sewing stores.

Are you trying to knot them after tying on fly, or before cutting off quill?

Buy the one from Rainy's http://www.rainysflies.com/ezhopperlegtool.php It does take a little practice but once you get the hang of it you can turn them out really quick.

Another way is to get a really SMALL latch hook tool like they use for doing rugs (looks exactly like the Rainy's) but it's gotta be small.

The tool will more than pay for itself over time. The best pheasant tail feathers to use are the center ones as they have longer barbs but you can use them all.

Fatman
    Last edited by Fatman; 10-15-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Bass_Bug Guest

The Rainy's does have a nice wood handle which is why it over $10. A 'knit picker' from a sewing or hobby/craft stores is the same thing and only $2
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/knit-picker-785576/

The leg knot tool from Jann's is the same as a knit picker but twice as long and less than $3.

They are all just a latch-hook, like used on rugs, but much smaller. The key is to knot the fibers while still on the quill. and to reverse the knot from left to right to get left and right legs. Yes it does make a difference. If you use 2 rights and turn one over you'll have the top of the feather barbs facing up on one side and the bottom of the feather barbs facing up on the other.

Bass Bug is EXACTLY right!! That's what I was going to suggest ... and it does work! Sure, it'll take a bit of practice, but it does work!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I bought a couple of packages of the "Legs on a Stick" not too long ago. For each knotted "leg" there are between 8-10 of the fibers that are knotted together. If I'm going to use them I would want either one or two fibers knotted together. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. Cut eight or so of the fibers out on each side of the knot and discard them? That's the only thing I can figure out and what an expensive waste that would be.

Joe

+ Reply to Thread