+ Reply to Thread

Thread: saltwater fly reel recommendations

Default saltwater fly reel recommendations

I am looking to buy an 8wt reel for saltwater fishing. I would like to get a rod and reel for less then $300. Any suggestions?

To name a few:

Reel: Scientific Anglers System 2, Redington Rise, Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor, Lamson Konic, Sage 1880, Pflueger Trion, Ross Essence FS

Rod: Redington Crosswater, Redington Red.Fly2, St. Croix Rio Santo, St. Croix Triumph, Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) Series 1, TFO Professional, Ross Essence FS

These rods and reels range from $100 to $200 (some rods less than $100 on closeout). You can find a combo for less than $300 by picking from this list. There are many other options.

Some of these can be found on sale or clouseout right now.

For a reel, I would suggest the Orvis Mid Arbor. It is saltwater resistant with a good drag and mid arbor design. At normal price it is one of the best deals around, but right now they are on sale at Orvis.com. You would need a IV for 7wt to 9wt lines. Normal price is $149, but you can get it on line now for $109.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=72ER

You should check around for some discounted rods. There are a number of places to find discontinued rods at good prices. Check Sierra Trading, they have some decent deals at times. Madison River Fishing Company also has good deals on better stuff. They have a Winston Ascent in their clearance section for $119, which is a great price for a good quality, mid line rod. You would need the 890.

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4
    Last edited by dunfly; 10-14-2010 at 03:00 AM.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

I second the vote for the Scientific Anglers System 2 reel. It ain't real fancy, but it's built to take a beating and keep working when you need it. At $150 from Cabelas you won't go wrong for an entry level Saltwater reel with a proven track record.

Jim Smith

Quote Originally Posted by dunfly View Post
    For a reel, I would suggest the Orvis Mid Arbor. It is saltwater resistant with a good drag and mid arbor design. At normal price it is one of the best deals around, but right now they are on sale at Orvis.com. You would need a IV for 7wt to 9wt lines. Normal price is $149, but you can get it on line now for $109.
    I'd recommend a Tioga 8, but for $109 don't think you can beat the Orvis Mid IV.

Regards,
    Scott

I'd suggest an Orvis Mid-Arbor reel and an Elkhorn rod. I have that combo and have enjoyed it for several years. If you are interested I'm selling my rod (its in very good condition). Mine or another Elkhorn is a great idea as their warranty is lifetime regardless of owner and regardless of how it broke. The Elkhorn 5 pc. travels very nicely.

PM me if you are interested.

jed

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I'd recommend a Tioga 8, but for $109 don't think you can beat the Orvis Mid IV.

Regards,
    Scott
    The Tioga would be a good choice if one can be found, however they have not been made since the original Teton Reel company closed up 2 or 3 years ago. My Tioga has been very dependable as has my S.A System 2 reel.

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop View Post
    The Tioga would be a good choice if one can be found, however they have not been made since the original Teton Reel company closed up 2 or 3 years ago. My Tioga has been very dependable as has my S.A System 2 reel.
    Oops, forgot about that, my bad; although Bearsden does carry them on a limited basis, and there's usually some floating around on EBay.

Regards,
    Scott

A Lamson Konic is a good option for a saltwater capable reel if you do not like the Orvis Mid Arbor reel. The Echo ION rods are excellent saltwater rods at any price.

+ Reply to Thread