My lovely wife, VEE and I headed out for our annual trip celebrating our wedding anniversary. The goal was to find some bright, fresh from the salt, Sea Run Cutthroat Trout.

We met our guide, Steve Buckner at the Mission Boat Ramp on the Cowlitz River about 6:45 AM, so we could head up river in his jet sled as soon as it was light enough to travel safely.

Steve lives along side the Cowlitz and really knows the river. He also knows the fish that move from the salt to the fresh water and back again. The Cowlitz has some great fishing for Salmon, Steelhead and Sea Run Cutthroat.

As always, Steve put us right into the fish. Being a gentleman, I let VEE lead through each run, which means she had first crack at the fish moving upstream. She made good use of that advantage, hooking and landing at least twenty really nice fish, and had several more manage a long distance release.

VEE and Guide Steve Buckner

Before we knew it, time had flown and it was 1:00 PM. A short snack of Apple Turn Overs, which Steve assured me were packed with vitamins and minerals, we were back at the fish until Steve called us for lunch. Lunch, on this chilly, cloudy day consisted of a fine home made Chicken Noodle Soup with big chunks of chicken and all kinds of veggie goodness fresh from Steve's garden. It doesn't get any better than that.

VEE and a nice bright Sea Run Cutthroat(Notice the fish mojo producing Idaho Fish-In hat pin).

We spent the rest of the afternoon casting to the wiley SRC in several different locations. We both managed a grab and headshake from a steelhead, but no love. VEE did have a huge steelhead, tail about 6 inches wide, roll about ten feet in front of her. Thought she'd mess up her waders.

VEE's 2d best SRC of the day.

One minor mishap that could have been serious. On the last run of the day I let VEE lead through the run as usual while I took a break in the boat. When she had moved down a bit I started to get out of the boat. Checked the water depth with my wading staff, okay, swing leg over the gunwale and find footing, put weight on rock. Oops, the rock I stepped onto was covered with clay and my foot slipped off. Next thing I know I'm having a look at the bottom of Steve's boat. Luckily one hand is still holding on to the gunwale. When the cold water hit me, I must have sucked in my gut (there's a lot to suck in), because my wading belt loosened and water rushed down to my toes.

Because her hubby was soaking wet, VEE decided to call it a day and get me back to the car where dry clothes and a heater were waiting. Good thing it was almost dark or I would have frozen while she chased more SRC. (Just kidding, Sweetie.)

Sea Run Cutthroat ready for his close up.

REE