+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Recent Flies

Hybrid View

Default Some Recent Flies

Hi,

I've been playing around with tying some streamers (blame Normand). Anyway, here are a few, most tied on Mustad 9575, size 10. The other is a size 10 4x long, but I'm not sure the model number. The Mickey Finn has seen the water, with one fish to hand and about 10 hits shortly thereafter. It's still in pretty good shape though.

I believe the patterns are called:
    1) Magog Smelt / Sweeny Todd
    2) Mickie Finn / Black Ghost bucktail
    3) Genesta Lee (named after my daughter, and first tied on the day of her birth)
    - Jeff
    Last edited by JeffHamm; 10-12-2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: add pattern names
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Nice dressings, Jeff. That Sweeney Todd seems to require a tying and a try out in my local waters.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

A very nice collection of hairwing 'lures' Jeff.
    Coincedentally I have been reading some of my collection of older fly dressing
    books, especially W. H. Lawrie's "All-Fur Flies and how to dress them" (1967)
    and Tom Stewart's "Two Hundred Popular Flies" (1979).
    I can recommend both books, Lawrie's book gives a lot of interesting original patterns for
    salmon and sea trout.
    Stewart's book has a more varied selection, but there are a lot of 'lure' patterns, some of them
    quite old, Stewart died just before the publication. The book is based on a series of articles in
    'Trout and Salmon' magazine before 1962. Although the illustrations are all hand drawn, this book
    is a great source of often forgotten patterns. I am probably talking to the converted,
    regarding yourself Jeff, but there are a lot of tyers out there who would find them interesting.
    They are both very cheap as second hand books.
    http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...=All-Fur+Flies
    Cheapest BP7.00 $11.12

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...+Popular+Flies
    Cheapest BP2.04 $3.24

I hope somebody finds this usefull.
    Last edited by Donald Nicolson; 10-12-2010 at 06:22 AM.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Donald,

Someone, namely me, has found it useful. More additions to the library on the way.

Thank you,

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks REE! I liked the look of that Sweeney Todd when Normand first posted it and I went off and tied one right away. I think it should do nicely when it finally gets in the water.

And thanks for the tips on the books Donald. One can never have too much to read!

- Jeff

Jeff,
    Good patterns all! I especially like the Black Ghost. Try the BG with a few strands of pearlescent crystal flash on top the wing - 4 strands is usually plenty. I also like them with a white maribou wing, although the deer hair wing is stiffer and doesn't wrap around the hook bend as easily. I guess I could shorten up the wing a little so that does not happen.The maribou gives the streamer a lot more pulsating action. I like to get aggressive with this pattern, sometimes fishing through a run multiple times, each time getting more aggressive. I've caught some of my largest fish during the third pass. Streamer fishing can seem like the most obtrusive method, because you create the most disturbance of the water your fishing, but you'd be surprised what comes out of the woodwork after the second or third pass through a run. You will probably experience some of the most explosive takes while streamer fishing. If fishing gets slow, SHAKE EM UP!
    Best regards, Dave S. (fishdog54)

Well!!
    You've got me started now, I've been reading through Tom Stewarts book since I posted
    and it is full of really great fishing anecdotes. I have had my copy for many years but I always find something interesting evey time I pick it up. Trout,sea-trout or salmon aways a great read.

As for the "Sweeney Todd", it was invented in the 1960s by Richard Walker and Peter Thomas as a stillwater 'lure', here is their recipe.

Sweeney Todd
    Hook: Longshank 6 to 14.
    Tying silk: Black.
    Body: Black floss.
    Rib: Flat silver tinsel>
    Throat: Two or three turns of DF Neon Magenta wool tied behind the wing roots.
    Wing: Black squirrel-tail for the smaller sizes, black bucktail for the larger.
    Beard hackle: Crimson hackle fibres.

Richard Walker stated that if he was restricted to one stillwater fly, this was it.
    It has also been a popular sea-trout fly.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Really nice Jeff. Just a suggestion wink wink try that Mickie in a black body..Has been deadly up here

Nice hair wings Jeff.
    Now you got me thinking , could use a few more for Steelhead!!

wet
    Working Trout Bum

Thanks all.

I've tied a few Black Ghosts with feather wing streamers, so thought I would add the bucktail version to the box. Oddly, although I know I have a few of these tied up, I keep overlooking them when I think to tie on a streamer. I know this is a very productive pattern (from other people's reports) so I must remember to get it in the wet stuff next time I'm in the mood!

I'm also looking to try out the Sweeney Todd, and from Donald's research above, I should make sure to try it soon.

Hmmm, add in a Black bodied Mickie Finn (which I admit I've never heard of before!), and suddenly we're starting to see a pattern here. With black bodied streamers attracting a high "must try" vote.

That's interesting, because I'm partial to silver bodied streamers in terms of what I usually tie on. The above Mickie Finn is one I just don't like to be without (it's the Nova Scotian in me). And another of my own patterns (Hammlim Minnow; posted as a FOTW a while back) is also silver bodied and one of my most productive lake patterns. After that, I like yellow and/or bright orange bodied ones ; I like the sparklies I think!

Must give these black bodied flies a more complete testing next time I'm on some appropriate water.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread