I've owned and fished out of a redfish 14 for about 5 years now, and really like it. I went with a SOT mainly because I feel it's much easier getting into and out of the boat while I fish sand bars around the coast here in NH.

I've stood up and fished from it as well... but only when it was perfectly calm. It's not something I'd do regularly because at least for the fishing I'm doing, the advantage of gettign closer with a kayak trumps any advantage standing up would give me.

Another data point comparison though... the redfish is over 70 lbs. Many SOT are heavy because they have to be made of thicker plastic to handle our weight and not collapse. The Ultimate is just over 50 lbs. 20lbs might not seem like a lot until you try and carry the boat for 20' or try to put it up on your car.

I wouldn't worry about getting a better paddle now. In fact, if you're willing to invest some money, I'd probably suggest getting some kayak paddling lessons over buying a more expensive paddle. The kayak's design decides how fast the boat goes... not the paddle. To take advantage of the boat's hydrodynamics, you'll need good paddling stokes.

FWIW... For a fishing vessel, I am saving and planning on getting a hobie boat with the peddle drive system. I see them around here and they look like great fishing kayaks. but they are about 2-3 times more expensive than my redfish was new. pros and cons...