+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BIG FISH - Neil - October 11, 2010

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default BIG FISH - Neil - October 11, 2010

BIG FISH

I have a confession ? I never have been a big fish fisherman. Over the course of my years throwing flies into various types of water I have hooked and landed a few big fish, but as a matter of course I don?t spend time trying to catch them.

I don't try for the big fish either. I just try to get them. Size is a bonus.

Thanks for writing it.

Rick

Neil,

As usual, another great article that I can relate to. I never go looking for large trout. I just like the fishing and will be happy with anything that will "pull my string" no matter how small. The only sizeable trout I have caught were a 23" Rainbow and a 24" Brown and both were caught while "just fly fishing" for trout. They both were a lot of fun and so were the many smaller trout. I just love using the "long rod" and the enviroment around rivers.

After reading all your articles, I know I would really enjoy fishing with you one day....

Keep the great articles coming...
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Hi,

This article resonated with me. I enjoy catching small trout. Big fish are fun, and there are place I go where the fish tend to be larger, but in the end, I just like to get out fishing. When I'm fishing in some of the smaller streams for smaller fish, I just use the 3 weight and they are all whales!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Thank you for the Article.. My most often reply to some one who asks me when they find out I'v been fishing, how big where they? Did you catch any big ones? I almost always say, if all I wanted to do was catch big fish then I would just walk over to the freezer in the store and get one, thats not why I go, yes the big ones are nice, but I have been fishing caught big fish and was not happy with the trip, I enjoy "the way we go about catching fish" and then any trout including big fish is a plus...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Thanks, Neil. Joe Brooks was one of my more favorite outdoor writers.

Here in Texas, we seek big fish, little fish, and in the middle fish, but the one we seek the most is the one that gets the stink of "skunk" off of us. After that, its all gravey.

Bill

+ Reply to Thread