Thread: how to keep thread from slipping while making a thread head

Threaded View

It has been amazing to me what minimal thread wraps and a dubbing needle dab of cement will do to improve the durability and appearance of flies. Fewer turns of thread is a plus. Piling on thread wraps is wasted effort.

In my experience, how I cut excess materials at the eye is important in finishing of the head of a fly. I try to cut the material off at an angle from front to back, not coming in from the side which causes a ledge to contend with. Unless you fill up the ledge with thread the wraps will continue to slip forward, and if you are filling ledges you are adding bulk to the head of the fly. What's required is that each material is trimmed at an angle to allow that nice taper at the head.

Nice effects can also be done to the head with the aide of some flat nosed pliers after a dab of laqueur. By applying a squeeze to the head either horizontaly or vertically and then applying the finish coat of cement, you can shape a head to your liking.

Good luck. A well done finished head is what separates a mediocre fly from a well thought out crafted one. You're on tract to becoming an accomplished fly tier.
    Last edited by hairwing; 10-10-2010 at 11:46 PM.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River