+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is size important?

Default Is size important?

Given that 8 foot pontoons are the least expensive and the lightest how important is it from a use stand point to have a 9 or 10 foot pontoon?? Would be used on the Big horn and Mississippi (north of Minneapolis)

thanks

chuck
    Last edited by leewan; 10-11-2010 at 03:19 PM.

The larger the tubes, length plus diameter, equals more water displacement and hence, more stability and load-carrying ability. Bigger water will demand bigger tubes (river settings usually). More weight on board will demand bigger tubes. Toons with a standing platform usually benefits from longer tubes for stability. Solo toons, I like a 9 foot boat for most of the rivers I float. For standing up (platform), I'd want at least a 10' tube. Whitewater, a longer and larger diameter tube with a nice, wide frame (for stability). Usually not that much of a weight difference in 8 to 10 foot tubes if they are of a quality design.
    Mark 1:17

[QUOTE=leewan;388427] Would be used on the Big horn and Mississippi

Saying it would be used on the Mississippi covers a lot of water. I am assuming you are referring of somewhere north of St. Louis? South of there the old man get awfully large and wicked.

I think if you check closely the lighter pontoon are going to cost a little more and have aluminum frames rather than steel, at least that is what I have seemed to notice.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I would not have a pontoon less than 9 feet.

I think the shorter toons consume too much of the rowing stroke power in to a rocking motion along the toon.

The longer toon tracks better and usually drafts less water.

Aluminum frame is a must.

Go for a quality boat with a 10 year warranty. Lots of cheap junk out there.
    Max

I always like to look at things from a safety standpoint. 9'-10 pontoons are safer in my opinion than 8' pontoons. They give a more stable footprint in the water and resist flipping or tipping in certain rough water situations. No, they may not be as agile, but the design of the pontoon has more to do with that anyways. A little extra safety will get you home for future outings and means more than saving a buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I would not have a pontoon less than 9 feet.

I think the shorter toons consume too much of the rowing stroke power in to a rocking motion along the toon.

The longer toon tracks better and usually drafts less water.

Aluminum frame is a must.

Go for a quality boat with a 10 year warranty. Lots of cheap junk out there.
    Unless you get a framless kickboat.

+ Reply to Thread