+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advise - what fins for float tube?

Hybrid View

Default Need advise - what fins for float tube?

I recently acquired float tube for a sweet price (thanks to dpenrod for alerting me to the craigslist posting). But I have no fins. I have a Cabela's gift card so I will probably get them there. Here's what it looks like my options are. If the right deal came along I would also consider picking them up used.

Outcast Step-in Fins $35

s7_318113_999_01.jpg

Creek Company Lightweight Fins $29.99

s7_318635_999_01.jpg

Creek Company Float Tube Fins $44.99

s7_313413_999_01.jpg

==================

But I have no idea which one of these would be best. I have used fins similar to the last pair before but I had trouble getting my size 11 wading boots shoved into them. Is there some other kind of shoe that would be better to wear than my standard wading boots? The boots are a bit bulky and restrict the movement of your feet. What do others wear in the float tube?

Also I will need a pump of some kind. Is this one ok for $24.99?

s7_313447_999_01.jpg
    Tim

Well shoot. I just noticed that the description on the pump said that it will not work on Caddis float tubes, which is of course what I have. I have the Caddis Navigator II.

I can't tell if this one at Bass Pro will work or not. I may have to actually go to Bass Pro to find out.

431-768-00-t.jpg
    Tim

tlerm,
    Out of the options you posted I would recommend the Outcast Step-In fins. Looks like they come with fin tethers and that's a big bonus. As far as the two-way pump goes, you may have to go to Caddis for one.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

The Creek Co. Float Tube Fins are more like what I wear, but I wear "flat boots" with them. If you are planning on wearing wading boots with slip resistant soles they will probably not work with flats boots they are great do not come off easily. As a matter of fact I have to use both hands to pull the off.

As for the pump if your tube happens to have an automotive type inner tube it will not work, otherwise it's a matter of matching hose ends to bladder fittings. I have a coleman that I bought at Walmart I think and a small pump I picked up at Goodwill. I carry the smaller pump with me to top off the tube and release air when I place it in my pickup, Georgia sunshine can over pressurize a bladder. Wait until you get to the top of the mountain to air up the tube also.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

If your budget will allow, buy a pair of adjustable Force Fins. They are worth every penny and then some. BTW - you can find them for less $$$.

As far as footwear goes, I wear the Chota Kick Boot Bootie which happens to be on closeout. They are super comfortable.

Pumps are a crapshoot. I have a Bravo 6 which I've had for years that even has a pressure gauge built in and I love it. It's better than any pump I've tried.

Have fun and make sure to wear a PFD!

I have some that are very simular to the cheapest pair up there...minus the stiff heal cup. (so they are very flat and fit nicely into a back pack or the tube when I'm hauling it around in the back country. I haven't seen any like them for sale but I'm pretty sure that the Lightweights are the remake of them. They were given to me years ago and they do me just fine. I wear my wading boots with them. I don't wet wade on in the tube because I'm one for staying in the water for hours at a time. They are easy to get on and off.

From what I remember, your tube has the tire type valves (pin inside) in it so none of those big pumps will work. That's probably why it came to you at such a good price, because they are a pain in the you know what. Your best option is to buy a pump you can plug into your car (lighter) if you don't already have one. You can get them at places that sell automotive parts / tires etc. If you don't have a car lighter outlet than your really up a creek...except for a hand tire pump. Have fun!
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

I know about the Force Fins, unfortunately they are out of range of my budget at this time. If float tubing becomes my preferred fishing mode I may upgrade one day.

I guess I don't have a lot to lose in trying one of those step-in fins. I think I'll give one of those a try. My main concern was find a pair that works with my boots.

It did not occur to me that I should look at the air valve before I bought a pump. I didn't know that some float tubes had unusual air valves. I'll take a look at that air valve tonight and then see what my options are. From what dpenrod says, though, it makes me wonder if the air valves on all Caddis tubes are the same. I can't remember if the float tube you got was the same one as mine or not.

That's ok though. I would still have bought the tube. I got the float tube for $40 bucks, and even though the guy said that it had been used, it sure doesn't look like it. I'm just trying to get into float tubing on-the-cheap. If I really like it I may sell my canoe and upgrade my float tube etc.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
    Tim

I would second the Force Fins.

I was recently in Alaska with a small group of guys. One had some inexpensive fins similar to what you are showing. He broke one of them --- very hard to replace where we were -- and nearly ruined the trip for him. He was nearly out of business -- the Force Fins although expensive are worth the investment.

Just my 2 cents.

tim, i have the outcast step in fins and they work fine with my wading boots. i have a pump like the one you picture that i used on the caddis i bought and it worked fine. you can call me if you have any questions.
    Last edited by dpenrod; 10-08-2010 at 02:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread