Thread: Need advise - what fins for float tube?

Threaded View

I have the original force fins with the fixed strap over the foot and the adjustable strap for behind the foot. I bought a pair of Univerwsal Force fins for my wife....who is now in heaven. I also have a cheap pair of fins like the last pair in the photol I prefer the last pair in the photo. I sold off the Universal fins. I have two pair of the cheapies and have had the cheap Wal-Mart $35 ones. Still have somewhere...I think...unless I gave them away. Don't remember where they are...cause do not use them. I much prefer the pair that looks longer than the force fins, the last pic in your list. I mentioned I have two pair. I had a dead battery in my little 8' foam filled boat. While struggling to put on the fins one strap broke off the fins. So quality and hardiness may not be the best. But I MUCH prefer them to force fins. Bugman says he can fix my busted pair easy with a pop rivet. Hoping he does. If not, I think I can put a grommet on and be as good as it can get.

Valves,

Wish I could see a pic of your valve. Would think no need to pack bladder along. Use a digital caliper and take a picture....and you have a pic of the valve with you at the store. Which will tell you if it is a summit valve, a schraeder valve, or a Boston valve. And the ID and the OD.

Shraeder valve, do NOT like....same as a bicycle tire or a car tire. I already tried a mountain bike small manual air pump. Don't waste money on that idea. Not enought capacity for a pontoon. No workie. The "D" cell battery operated Coleman with proper adapters would be good. Can air up quick, and keep it in the toon. My toon ALWAYS loses tightness when I get on the water and would perform better if aired up to max. I have a way of doing that....and you can too if you have a schrader valve....with a battery operated pump and the adapters needed.

Summit my second unfavorite valve. It has a spring inside that you can depress and turn to lock in place and will let all the air out. That part is nice. Sorta. Or you can simply think on way home that sun is too hot, toons too tight, and with the simple push of a finger deflate a bit. BUT...it takes a real pump to air it up. A boston type valve sorta with a spring in it. Can't...at least I can't air one up with a hose and my mouth. The spring is just too strong.

Boston valve my favorite. uh....the schraeder obviously has a deprssing air valve to put air in or let out. The Boston valve, and the summit valve have a flap inside. So when you force air in the air cannot come back out if you remove a hose or pump. I have the Boston valves on my toon.

I purchased boat sump pump hose...I think it is....from Wal-Mart and not all that cheap. About $8 if I remember for something like 5' of a white corregated or ribbed hose. I cut it off at 2/3's length. It is in one foot sections but all one hose. What I mean is every foot is about a one inch section of straight plastic tubing...all same material...but not ribbed....then ribbed for a foot, then flat for an inch, etc.

anywhoooo....I used a two foot section for a couple of my inflatables. But found out on my Water Skeeter Backer Packer Lite the valves are a tad behind the seat. It has Boston Valves so I can air up by mouth with the hose. So a three foot section more convienent on that one.

So....I have had all the valves. I have sold the 8' Water Skeeter. It had summit valves. I have sold off the two WC GRiggs toons which had Boston valves. I kept a two foot section of this hose in one of the pouches on the side in the Griggs inflatables...which also had Boston valves. . When the cold water caused the volumne to shrink, I could very easily blow them up to tight with the hose and my mouth. I have the same boston valves now on my Creek Co toon and on my Water Skeeter Back Packer Lite inflatables. Like them that way.

The Boston Valve type should air up with the pump you are showing. Well, on second thought maybe not. When I got my first water skeeter the pump that came with it did not have the adapter...(summit valve adapter)> So I had to jury rig it to work...and think I just used that white hose I bought at Wal-Mart. Anyway .... I don't have a pic of your valve so can't say. I think I simply cut a small V out of two places on the white hose and it will cram down inside the Boston valve. Then I think I affixed it to my hand pump....or the hand pump hose....with a nylon tyrap. Your valve might be a shraeder valve if they are saying that pump won't do the job. I'm betting it has Boston valves...but if so, they would not be saying the normal toon pump won't work. I am a bit confused. Wish I could see a pic of your valve. But if you have Boston Valves I think you are luck.

Anywhooooo....that pump can be found at Wal-Mart for $10 in the bicycle section. Or $20 dollars in the fishing/camping section.

Now things may change in their store. But that is the way it has been here. I purchased one of the $10 ones just to donate to our fly club for the auction.

Sorry for length of msg. Just trying to help out.

The above have just been MY experiences with fins and valves. But perhaps helpful info. I dunno....

Oh...also on the wading boots and fins thing. I used my foam soled river boots with the cheap Wal-Mart fins. NOT A GOOD THING>
    I then bought a pair of Force Fins and a pair of neoprene booties. I use chest waders with stocking feet.....the neoprene booties, and Force Fins much better than the river boots and Wal Mart fins. But the longer pair of Creek Co fins to, stocking foot waders/neoprene booties my favorite way to do it. The river boots far too big, clumsy, hard to push through the water with fins.

The booties the way to go...unless of course your waders have a built in boot. Not my favorite way to go......

jsut fyi
    Last edited by Gemrod; 10-12-2010 at 03:37 PM.