+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes getting worse

Hybrid View

nighthawk Guest

Default Diabetes getting worse

Went to the doc today to follow up on my last set of labs. We are gaining on the thyroid nicely but my diabetes is getting worse. I am going to try another change in diet and exercise routine. Also bought a new meter that should help us track things better. Check it out here:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catal...sku=sku6007598

Mail ordered it today. I am kind of caught in a vicious circle here. The thyroid caused me to gain weight, that increased the stress on my deteriorating back and also has driven the diabetes the wrong way. As mentioned the thyroid is finally coming under control but I am having to start all over again improving my physical condition through walking/hiking. It has taken it's toll with the legs going numb along with nerve pain from the mid thoracic area to the ankles. Doc says I have until November 3rd to get the A1C back down or I will be on insulin (currently I am only on Metformin).

Didn't mean to whine but I know some others here are diabetic. Thought they might like a heads up on that meter. Most stores want $50-70 bucks for it. Walgreen's has one heck of a sale price there. The meter should help me keep better track of my blood glucose than my old one does. I am going to use that as pert of the motivation to get better. Besides, fall/winter really is my favorite time of the year for those brisk hikes/walks in the crisp air.

Eric, Man I feel for you. Somewhere pass the age of 40 life starts getting complicated. I have been very fortunate so far for myself. My wife has rhematoid and is alway in some pain so although I am not experiencing it personally I have an idea.

Last night I was with one guy who needs extensive back surgery, which the doctors tell him he will likely no survive due to his other health factors and another who I visited in the emergency room last week because he was having nose bleeds due to the blood thinner required from his heart valve replacement 3 years ago.

You can see you have plenty of good company out there to "feel your pain." You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself and mind what the doc and wife says, they are usually right.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Hey Eric, that really sucks! I will be pulling for you to get it under control before november, I know it hurts but keep at it and you will bring your glucose levels down.
    All the very best.
    Mike

i been lookin at the usb meters. please let us know how it works out. seems like back problems go hand in hand with diabetes. i'm in constant pain form my back. all one can do is learn to live with it. surgery can stop worsening of the problem but rarely eases the pain. i know a few others that have the same problems. i use metformin with actos and it does a great job however actos in expensive, $232 for 30 days. most drug companies have help with payment available. a1c last time was 5.9. due for diabetes checkup this month.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Hey Eric, that stuff sure can get complicated! Can't help re: the meters. Just wanted you to know that Vicki & I keep you in our prayers.

John R

nighthawk Guest

Thanks folks. Wes a1c of 5.9 is great! Mine jumped from 6.3 to 9.7 and climbing. Just got back from a 2 mile walk. I felt pretty good doing that. Got to hit the shower now. I will keep all posted on how the new meter works.

First you should enter a class if there is one in your area to learn what to eat and when. Learn about CARBS four at a meal--one slice of bread is one carb. You should only use four at a meal. Vets can get free supply at a VA hospital and those old enough(ME) free thru medicare. Meters and test strips. Ive seen insulin in a tube now--dial a number and push the plunger--each tube can be used a number of times.

Eric,

Of course I also wish you the best as well..

With friends like you have here on this board as well as
    the ones that are around you every day you will do just fine....

Be safe and follow all the directions....

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

I don't have that meter but I do have a the One Touch Ultra 2 and I like it very much. Not that I've had others to compare it to though. I've had it for two years. I got the USB cable and program. It's pretty slick. Way better than tracking with a pencil and book.

Like others here have suggested, ask your doctor if there are classes available. They are very helpful in teaching you how to eat. Portion control and carb counting is absolutely key, as well as regular exercise. You don't have to run...just walk and pick up the pace a little as you feel better. I use my iPod and favorite tunes to pass the time and keep pace. If you can't walk for 30 minutes...walk for 15 minutes 2 times a day...or break it down into 3 ten minute walks. You can increase the time as you get more in shape. I've had excellent control since taking the classes. My doc just cut my metformin intake in half yesterday...from 500mg to 250mg a day. I purchased a treadmill last Christmas. Good investment for those in the cold climates. I don't use it over the nice months but in winter it's a godsend. I hate walking on ice.

"Learn about CARBS four at a meal--one slice of bread is one carb. You should only use four at a meal."

I wanted to make something a little clearer here...what WilliamF was calling a CARB is actually a Carb Unit. A carb unit consists of 15 carbs. A slice of whole grain bread (read the labels) is usually around 20 carbs but there is usually Fiber as well. You subtract the fiber number...in this slice of bread it may be 4 g ... 20 -4 = 16 carbs = 1 carb unit. You get 3-4 carb units per meal (45-60 total carbs) three times a day... and a couple of snacks...one mid afternoon and one before bed. (try to eat something every four hours) A Snack is one carb unit. I go with 15-25 carbs at snack.

I check my sugar once a day, at different times of the day... and when I first got started I checked four times a day or when ever I ate something I hadn't planned on to see how it affects my blood sugar. I still do that when I have an "off" read until I can figure out why or get it back under control. The strips aren't cheap but its a good way to see where you make your mistakes...and when you need to get up and start moving.

Remember the worst thing that aggravates diabetes is belly fat. So don't worry about the number on the scale as much as the inches around the waist. Your goal is to make sure that your waist measurement at your belly button is not wider than half your height. So if you are 5'4" tall, or 64 inches, you should keep your waist size at or below 32-inches to decrease your risk of health problems. If your waist is greater than half your height, you have too much omental fat (that's belly fat). Now that you have your thyroid issues under control you should be able to loose the gut. I use SparkPeople to help keep me on track. I use the food tracker a lot. (It helps if your taking a class too because the nutritionist will want you to keep a food diary. This does that for you and prints out really nice. It's 100% free. It has a lot of really nice tools that will help you. If you don't like a lot of emails you need to set it up so that you don't have the email stuff all checked off. There are "support groups" there which group folks together with common interests....like Fly Fishing, photography, Diabetes, etc. Anyway...it's a tool you can use if you wish. (lots of great recipes on there too...with a little tweaking you can make a lot of them diabetic friendly.

Another good source of information on Diabetes is good ol' Dr. Oz.

Some more very helpful links:
    http://www.diabetes.ca/diabetes-and-you/nutrition/

http://www.diabetes.org/
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 10-08-2010 at 03:44 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Sorry to hear about your issue Nighthawk I do know and understand, it not easy going though health issue due to my own issue over the last 5 months, I will put you in my parys and hope thing get better.
    Ghost

+ Reply to Thread