Thread: A Few Recent Bear Stories

Threaded View

Hap,

Thanks for sharing, I also enjoyed the stories. I've never fished Alaska and the only times I fished British Columbia, I was out in the ocean trolling for salmon. I think the part of the story that amazed me the most is the idiot with a pitbull wanting to send it in after the bear. I own pitbulls and have for over 25 years and one swipe from a bear would make short work of that dog. When I was a young man, I worked for the NH Fish and Game Department. One year we had a bumper crop of black bears feeding at a local dump and the tourists would go out and watch the bears. I was standing there with a Game Warden (I worked in fisheries) and one idiot told his 10 year old son to "Go over and stand next to that big one and I'll take your picture." The Game Warden stopped the boy and told the man that if he didn't leave the area now, that he (the Warden) was going to shoot the bear in the a$$ and toss the man in for the bear to play with. The guy took afront to the Warden's approach but he didn't want to find out if he was serious or not. It never ceases to amaze me how really stupid some people can be around wild animals.

Thanks for sharing your stories, they were fun to read.

Jim Smith
    Last edited by James Smith; 10-06-2010 at 08:08 PM.