+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for my build.

Hybrid View

Default Questions for my build.

Hey everyone,

The kit for my brothers rod is here! It came with the little instruction manual, and in reading about installing the cork grip, it says to ream out the cork with a rat tail file, wrap masking tape around the blank and then install the cork over the masking tape.

Question: Do I HAVE to do it that way? I slid the grip down the blank just to see how it fits, and it seem to fit nice and snug. There really isn't any play between the cork and the blank. Can I just lube up the blank with the epoxy and slide the grip down the blank until it's where I need it to be? It seems like it would be a much better fit to just do that than ream, tape, and fit.

P.S. Please check this post on a regular basis for more questions, lol.

Thanks,

TT.

Yes! You can just do it that way if the fit is snug ... and on a 2# rod, I'd imagine that'd be all you need. Save your tape for the fitting of the reel seat.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Awesome, thaks Betty.

Ok, next question:

When finding the spine, do I make the mark at the crest of the hard spot on the blank when I roll it, or after it's bounced into the softer spot. The hard spot definately feels like it's stiffer, so I'm assuming that's the spine, and I'll lay the guides down opposite the spine.

TT.

Blog Entries

Yes. There are as many ways to find the spine as there are rod builders. I do it this way...

Place one end of the section on a hard surface. While holding the other end up so the section forms a 45* angle or so, put a bit of a bend in the blank and 'roll' it with the other hand. It will kind of jump to a particular spot. Mark what is the top side of the blank at this point. The stiff side is actually on the bottom or outside of the curve. Mark the inside of the curve. That is the side you put your guides on for rods up to about 6w. Some folks like to put the guides on the stiff side above 6w. I don't know that it makes much difference.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Depending on the weight and length, I'm more inclined to "mark" the spine like JC taught. Put the rod together ... make it as straight as possible ... call it good!

Another way, combine Kevins way with putting the larger end on the top of your shoe, and push, flat handed, straight down on the tip top of the blank. Use the same curve designation as Kevin suggests.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Bass_Bug Guest

Um.... I guess we forgot to tell you how to burn off the 'fuzzies' before applying finish.

Hey Betty, you want to take it from here?

Blog Entries

CAREFULLY shave off the offending bits with a razor blade, then apply your second coat of finish. The finish will cover the spot you shave nicely. You will never be able to see it was done.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Hugo;
    Adding more coats of epoxy will only make the bumps bigger! You'll have to shave them off as Keving has explained.

'Nother way ... let the epoxy dry completely and use an emory board (the cardboard type) to GENTLY smooth off the fuzzy, and even off the bump. Then, apply another thin coat of finish.

Back to you BB!!

+ Reply to Thread