+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tfo Teeny 10' 5wt scoop

Hybrid View

Default Tfo Teeny 10' 5wt scoop

anyone have any experience with these rods to swing wets with??? I may be looking for a used one..
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

The only TFO rod I ever owned was a 10' 5wt Teeny (a rare 5pc one). It was a pretty heavy rod. I bought it to Euro-nymph with, but it was just too much weight to hold up for long.

If I had to describe the action, I'd say it felt like an 8wt butt section with a 6wt tip. It's a really powerful rod, and it turned out to be a good steelhead rod - you could really cross their eyeballs with that monster of a rod. It was easy to toss the entire fly line with it, and long distance casting was where it really excelled. Did a nice job with streamers and sinking lines, too.

Swinging wets? I don't think so (unless you're talking big wets for steelhead). Your wading staff would have a softer action.
    Last edited by Heritage Angler; 10-03-2010 at 07:36 PM.

THANKS, I DONT NEED TO SHAKE HANDS WITH A BROOM STICK, ESPECIALLY ONE I DIDN'T LIKE
    THANKS,
    heinrich
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

[QUOTE=Heritage Angler;387498]
    Swinging wets? I don't think so (unless you're talking big wets for steelhead). Your wading staff would have a softer action.
    Odd that two people would have such widely divergent feelings about the exact same stick (literaly!)... I use this guy for everything, and I find its action fits me quite nicely... So much so that I didn't have much love for faster rods before this guy, but its really changed my opinion.

Its effortlessly easy to roll cast, can open up the loop to send out multiple fly rigs, or you can dial it in to rocket it out the distance, for me at least. Poppers, wets, streamers, egg sacks for stockies () and dry/dropper combos... I'm not much for nymphing, but it seems, to me, to really transmit the feeling to my hand when I assume I'm doing it right (very little experience in tight line nymphing).

What it is, though, is heavy. You'll feel it in your arm after a day, and if you pick it up after another rod, its got a heft to it that can't be mistaken. I have it paired to a Pfluegar Medalist 1595, which isn't a light weight either, and the balance seems spot on to me.

Ahhhhhh, gfen - my vertically gifted friend. The first time you cast that rod, I knew it was a match made in heaven. There's no denying it's power, but traditionally, your typical trout size wet flies are swung with a soft action rod to help protect the tippet from the sometimes violent strikes. That Teeny rod would be one of the last 5wts I'd choose for that job. I have 7wt rods that are softer actioned. Come to think of it, all but one of my 8wts have a softer action.

It is one of the nicer finished TFO rods I've seen, and the hardware is top notch, too. I'd have kept it, but the smile on your face when you boomed out a long cast convinced me that you liked it more than I did. It is one hellacious distance casting rod!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come, but you gotta quit breaking it.

I don't seem to have much in the way of violent strikes, most of my wet pickups tend to be after the swing, when its on the dangle and I start to pick up.

Its killing me that I don't have it right now, with the streams where they're at, and the rain finally relenting.

+ Reply to Thread