+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tippet

Question Tippet

Can anyone tell me what some good tippet would be if anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks
    Liljoe

Blog Entries

Liljoe,

You will get a wide variety of answers to your question. I switched over to using fluorocarbon tippet many years ago and when Rio came out with their Fluoroflex Plus tippet http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=58

I started using it and never stopped.

Just for info, I take a lot of guided float trips on rivers in Washington and Montana. All of my guides have switched over to using fluorocarbon tippet and most use the Rio Fluoroflex Plus.

It is strong and very hard to see in the water.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Thanks for the info.

Larry,
    First off I have to say that I've never used fluorocarbon tippet material. That being said, wouldn't it be a poor choice for a dry fly presentation?
    Just wonderin'.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Some folks think that for very picky fish in clear slow currents floating tippet actually spooks fish. The floating tippet depresses the film ever so slightly, and the tippet itself acts as a lens that refracts light. This causes both reflection and refraction of light which some feel spooks the largest and spookiest fish.

Since flurocarbon sinks and is has just about the same refractive index of water, it actually is less visible than floating tipper. Also in these slow flows, water just below surface drifts at the same speed and direction as water at the surface. There should be little difference in drag caused by a floating or a slightly sunken tippet.

I've never fished where this type of condition is common but I think it does occur. Food for thought.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

These three are my favorites:

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

For trout fishing I only use fluoro these days and I swear by Seagur Grand Max Fluorocarbon. The smaller sizes are incredibly strong.

Other fluoro brands I like are Orvis Mirage and Varivas IF I can find it.

When I used mono it was Orvis Super Strong for years.

In regards to dry fly fishing, FWIW I actually prefer a sinking tippet for dry flies but regardless of material, most of it doesn't sink without coaxing or the use of Xink. I believe much of the flouro out there is treated to promote floating. When I do get it to sink I feel it is less visible than a floating tippet slicing the mirrored surface tension of a glassy pool. Whether the fish care is open to debate. A sinking tippet also hasn't had any effect on whether or not my fly floats highly and it doesn't pull it under as many would expect.

YMMV

Blog Entries

Lotech,

An 18 inch piece of fluorocarbon tippet won't cause a dry fly to sink. Maybe if I was fishing with a size 28 to 32 or something but then I won't be fishing that small. Most of the time the fluorocarbon still floats, as indicated in other replies, but if it does sink, there is so little of it that it does not pose a problem. The guides I use prefer flourocarbon because they want to improve a clients chances of catching fish and flourocarbon does do that. I use flourocarbon tippet on dries and while nymphing. I prefer not to put a split shot on fluoro tippet so I place a section of fluoro tippet at the end of the mono leader, placing the split shot on the mono at the knot, then tie on my top nymph onto the fluoro, then another section of fluoro to the dropper nymph. When using a dry dropper, be it another dry or an emerger, fluoro also works great.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Before flourocarbon, I used to take a pinch of mud from the riverbottom and dress the tippet to make it sink a bit. Haven't had to do that lately.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

I like the Frog Hair brand of tippet by Gamma Technologies. I have tried others like Orvis, Climax, Rio, Umpqua, but none have performed as well as Frog Hair. I recently started using their fluorcarbon tippet and really like it.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread