+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tarpon & a float tube

Normand Guest

Default tarpon & a float tube

Normand,

That was just insane, much like the guys who took tubes into those areas. Thanks for sharing.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Holy Cow. Or should I say mackerel? Just when I thought I'd seen almost all of it, this comes along. Not sure I'd like to dangle my feet in some of that water, but he did get a bonus Permit. WOW!
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Nice film but extremely stupid. I'd like to see them do that with 16 foot hammerhead sharks around. I've seen big tarpon bit right in half at boat side. I'm sure flippers dangleing in the water would get their attention.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

wow is all you can say...about as intense as the guys that used to fish them in canoes. Wow

Some of the best kayak/canoe fly fishing outfitters I know and I have been talking about this trend of float tube and kayak fishing for big game fish, especially saltwater and backcountry stuff. This whole idea of "extreme" sports is fine, I guess, for an individual who wants to take the risks on themselves. But there are guides and outfitters offering these things for hire. That is simply wreckless, stupid, and immoral. Float tubing for tarpon, for example, is nothing more than trolling yourself as shark bait! I personally know of two fairly large shallow bay boats that have been scuttled and anglers hospitalized by tarpon in the past 2 years. Not by sharks while tarpon fishing, but my tarpon that jumped and ended up in the boats. I have also seen a home video of a marlin coming through a kayak angler's kayak while on the hook, destroying the boat, tackle, and knocking the angler into the water stunned. I have also seen home video of a father and son landing a swordfish when it flinched and impaled the son through the chest and killed him. That kayak angler (won't mention any names, but he takes clients out to do it) is "extreme"ly lucky to be alive! Smart kayak anglers won't even attempt big game fish from a kayak. It's foolishly dangerous. Too many things can go wrong. Float tube? You just added several more layers of stupid!

The job of an outfitter/guide is to offer anglers SAFE recreational opportunities. Challenging? Yes. Some level of risk? Sure. Recklessly dangerous? Never! And these sorts of things are no different than going bear hunting with a .22, climbing Mt. Everest in shorts, flip-flops, and a tshirt, or attempting to cross the Serengeti with a 2 liter Coke on a kid's tricycle. If you're an extreme adventurer daredevil type who wants to self-fund and self-outfit such stupidity to test yourself against all odds and try to get your 15 minutes of fame on YouTube, that's between you and Fate. But for someone calling themselves a professional service provider to offer that to the public is unethical. And that's our unanimous opinion so far.

That was cool! Makes me want to rush out and get some staging Chinooks from my float tube. All I need is a light off shore breeze. WEEEE!! Nantucket sleigh ride, here I come!!!
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

This looks like fun I want to try this some day

+ Reply to Thread