+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Length

Default Rod Length

It's been awhile, (goin' on two years now since I cast my first fly) and I'm almost as clueless as ever. I've been using my one and only, a 7'9" 2 weight (Orvis Superfine) and absolutely loving it. But alas I'm finally thinking of adding to my quiver.

What I'm looking for now is information/opinions on the pros and cons of short and long rod lengths.

I've been told that I (well someone with some casting skill) can cast a 6'6" rod plenty far, but fishing it (line mends, etc.) is another story.

If that is the case, then if given ample room for casting, I would assume a 9' or 10' rod would "fish" superior to a 7' or 8' rod, all other things being equal of course.

Stop laughing at me, and feel free to make me a little less clueless.

------------------
    The smarter I get the less I know.

A 9 foot rod is a great all-around rod. A 5 or 6 weight would be my choice for a very versatile rod. With a longer rod, you have more control over the line at longer distances.

------------------
    "If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

I'd say that you need to consider the water types that you fish ( lakes, big rivers, creeks ). Do you fish from a floating device ? I wouldn't recommend a 9' rod for a brushy creek or a 6' for floating a lake.

------------------
    Life is like a fly swap...You never know what your going to get.

Bead,

I would think just the reverse. If you're sitting low while floating in a lake, wouldn't a longer rod be a advantage?

As far as the bushy creeks, the kind with canopy, I prefer a shorter rod. I think even a foot in length makes a difference.

I prefer long rods. Remember that my home waters, the foot paths are maintained and the river is "moderate". That is to say, I can cast across many of the pools and I rarely "need" to cast more tha 75 ft.

That said, I like 10 ft rods. 5, 6 and 9 wts.

The line control is pleasant, mending looping, roll casting. Hook set is simple, just raise the rod. The longer rod (IMHO) takes up any slack more quickly.

It is a personal preference thing though.Moving up to longer lengths can be weird at first. If you can, try some on the water.

Snowed in in Quebec.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:2e091]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:2e091]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 08 March 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

There are two things that keep a line in the air line speed and loop shape. a flyrod a a simple lever, the longer the lever the more line speed possible. you on your own to shape the loop. That said there are many more mid priced choices at 8.5 and 9' than in longer rods.

Rich

I use my 9ft rod on small bushy streams all the time.
    I like to have the reach to be able to stick the rod through the willows and out over the creek. Then again, I haven?t tried a 7'6.
    I think when you're fighting through brush the extra 1.5 feet on the rod doesn't do much, but when you have to sneak up on small water, every inch counts to get that drift under the cutbank. Mind you, I rarely cast on most of the small streams I fish... most of the work is maneuvering the fly to land in the right current.

Cheers,
    Paul

I use both, long and short rods. When there is a lot of trees overhanging, I use a short rod. If I have the room, I use a long rod. then there is the difference in action that has not been mentioned. I prefer a slom rod if I am only using about 15 feet of line, it cast better. If I am making long casts, I prefer a faster rod.

Dear clueless,

Keep in mind that if you are doing any casting at all a rod of 7 feet in length will have 2 more feet of line outside the tip than a 9 foot rod will. Since most problems - read snags - occur on the back cast it is something to think about.

I use 9 foot rods all the time on small streams of 12 to 20 feet in width. I don't fish many jump across brooks though.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

+ Reply to Thread