Its been a long time since I've posted anything, haven't been able to fish much (every additional kid we have takes up more time, but I'll trade the fishing for time with them). But I still manage a few great trips.

This year, I tried something new on a canoe trip down a classic midwest smallmouth river. Basically, in a pinch due to poor planning (too much mileage each day for us to fish specific areas thoroughly). I decided to troll with my fly rod. I didn't think it would work as well as it might on still water, but I absolutely slayed 'em. I tied on a cone head bugger style pattern (didn't ride extremely high, but didn't dive as quickly as a clouser due to the bulkier body). I cast out behind the canoe about 30 or 40 feet (or cast as much as I could but fed it more line when I had control of the boat again) grabbed my paddle and kept up a gentle paddle, just trying to keep the tension up on the line to keep it from getting too deep (this got tricky in the wind or when I paddled into some slower current and the line started to go slack). Rod positioning was tricky at first, but I found the best position was to point the rod straight back, laying right next to the gunwales (?) with the reel in front of the nearest cross beam (kept the rod balanced just perfect, allowed the hook to be set when a fish struck, I also tugged on the line when the drag started clicking, and its positioning allowed me to paddle on both sides without a problem, even when going down rapids).

I didn't snag once. If the drag started clicking it was a fish every time. I actually stuck fairly close to shore (10 feet off most of the time, if I got too shallow I just paddled faster).

I occasionally checked for weeds choking the fly, but it was fairly weed proof as well for some reason. Once I managed to get a decent cast and get the boat positioned for a downstream paddle, it was almost too easy.

I wrote before about what someone referred to as "strolling trolling", casting out as much line as manageable (depending on your shoreline), and then pointing your rod out over the water and jsut walking along the shore. It works extremely well, probably because of the extra length you get with a fly rod. Great for moving water after a rain and the fish are pushed up against the shore, or any stillwater when there's even a moderate drop off. Anyway, both this and the trolling I put together on the canoe trip subscribe to one of the most consistent fishing rules I've been told... you can't catch fish when your lure is out of the water. Therefore, the more your lure is in the water, the greater the percentage you will catch a fish. I'd of course rather be casting, but I have cost a larger number of fish trolling (of any sort).

Anyway, its really late and I've been working too hard. Hope this wasn't too rambling.