+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RUSSIA

1. Default RUSSIA

Hello, I am planning a trip of a lifetime for 2007 and am looking into Russia (Kamchatca). Wondering if anyone has recommendations of any sort on guides / outfitters etc. Thanks Cfisher.

Try this place: [url=http://www.travela.com:3516a]www.travela.com[/url:3516a]

They are an FAOL sponsor.
    I have been on many trips with them,
    although never to Russia.

Great service, great guy. They
    take care of everything!

------------------
    **MW**

I have spent quite a bit of time over in Kamchatka. Here are some facts for you.

Fishing is similar to Alaska with some exceptions.

1) The majority of the fish are resident river fish unlike Alaska where many of the trout originate in the lakes. The trout are much more keyed into the surface compared to Alaska Rainbows.

2) The rivers tend to be much more fertile then their Alaska counterparts. Many streams over there have excellent hatches of mayflies, stoneflies and caddis flies.

3) By mid July many of the rivers become so full of Chum Salmon that finding Rainbows can become problematic until they thin out again in the fall.

4) Most rivers have very high concentrations of Char in them.

In my experience you are likely to catch more Char then Rainbows.

5) IMO the Rainbows in Russia are not nearly as strong as their Alaska counterparts. I am not sure why But it is true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not believe all of the hype you hear.

To me the main advantage that Russia has over Alaska is the chance of having real solitude and very little competition.

The Rainbows on average are bigger in Alaska and fight better.

IMO the only honest people booking trips over there is Ouzel outfitters and the only ones I would deal with.

I won't name names but this is based on my personnel experiences dealing with the other outfitters booking trips over there.

A trip to Kamchatka needs to be looked at as a adventure more then just a fishing trip.

It is not America and things don't always happen on a timely schedule like we are all used to.

Most of the Russians I have met are awsome people and the interatction with them has always been the highlight of my time spent over there.

If you would like to talk more with me contact at 208 354-1200.

Rob

4. Default

Thanks for the info. Check you email. I'll give you a ring. Cfisher

Blog Entries

The Fly Shop in Redding does Kamchatka trips, and I have heard good things about them. Check it out at [url=http://www.theflyshop.com:dc1af]www.theflyshop.com[/url:dc1af]

DG

Ouzel Outfitters is the "only way to fly" in Kamchatka. That's not just because they've been there longer and more consistently than the newcomers, but also because they are a very reputable business with great integrity.

------------------
    My New Year's resolution is to have more fun...even if YOU don't.

7. Default

Sounds like ouzel is on the top of most lists. Thanks for all of the info. I plan on doing a little more research before I lay out any $. So is there any place I should be considering besides Russia? FISHER

Patagonia is generally less expensive and very pristine/remote. There is also good Salmon fishing on the Kola Peninsula in SW Russia...over by Scandinavia. Frontiers International Travel has a very successful operation over there.

------------------
    My New Year's resolution is to have more fun...even if YOU don't.

9. Default

I have looked at both Kola and Patigonia, however I am really looking more for the trout fishing than salmon and while patigonia has huge browns I am looking for some good numbers as well. FISHER

+ Reply to Thread