Having taught Middle school age students to build rods (all styles). There is a distinct advantage to buying a kit as opposed to figuring out your own components. At first I tried the "What do you want" and I got "I dunno". So that took that out of the equation. Next I was dealing with a relatively low skill level when it came to experience in constructing things, and I just wanted them to have the experience. What is your experience in building or making things. Do you do woodwork? crafts? metal work? anything? The more experience you have the better your first rod will come out. Another thing is are you a perfectionist or a That will do? You need to think about those things before ordering. If you are looking to get into building rods as a hobby or see if you like it, and you don't have a lot of making experience I would go with a kit. If you have experience, know what you want in the way of components and are a perfectionist go with figuring out just what you want from scratch and jump in with both feet. Another good book also is Tom Kirkman's rod building book. Covers all types of rod building and is good basic starter for any kind of rod building.