+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jumbo Johns

I've been having the same problem lately, even my smallest flies were iffy. I resorted to what some purists would consider cheating and used very small plastics on a #14 dry hook. That was somewhat better, but not much. These were small fish and are likely to stay that way if they don't learn to hunt better.

For those finicky gills, have you tried a floss and tinsel type wet fly? I've had good luck on a size 10 or 12 Professer (check the "Old Flies n Stuff archive) that has black, yellow, or chartreuse body. Red hackle tail, floss and tinsel body of your choice, rolled mallard flank wing, and collar hackle. They're somewhat fragile, but easy enough to tie up.
    Another one that's pretty good is an Orange and Teal from "Warmwater Fly Tyer" website.

Unweighted simple winged wet flies have been very effective for me the past few years. Put them a foot or two under an indicator, cast next to some weeds, and just let 'em sit for a little while.

Another favorite to try that's even easier is a size 10 scud hook, a short chartreuse floss tail, brown chenille body, and partridge hackle. It's a chunky look vs the floss-and-tinsel wets and is bad news for gills sometimes.

These are ideas that have worked for me in the past! Your mileage may differ...
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by greenlantern View Post
    I've been having the same problem lately, even my smallest flies were iffy. I resorted to what some purists would consider cheating and used very small plastics on a #14 dry hook. That was somewhat better, but not much. These were small fish and are likely to stay that way if they don't learn to hunt better.
    The best fly I have ever used for bream was a Renosky's 1 inch plastic crawfish superglued on a No. 8 Aberdeen hook. Unfortunately, they apparently quit making them. It was the next best thing to a live cricket.

Those small fish will become live bait if they don't get bigger, the rule in the fish world is grow or die small.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

For finicky gills I have been using unweighted small flies and not try to set the hook on the first tap.
    Also been having succes with orange color flies.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick Z; 10-06-2010 at 02:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread