+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Z-Axis

Default Z-Axis

I said that 2 rod builds and a Boo rebuild was enough but apparently not. I want to replace my TFO Pro nymph/Bass rod with a Z-Axis. My question for you good folk is, Should I stay with a 6wt or is the Z pretty stout in a 5? I really don't Bass fish that much with my 6wt but hung into some pretty large Browns on the Gunnison in July. They put a strain on my TFO Pro 6wt. Tell me what you know. I want to know everything!

I've built quite a few of the Sage ZX in 5-7wts so I'll give you my thoughts on it. The Z Axis is a pretty fast blank with a good amount of power in the butt section and I rather crisp tip/rebound. Normally I suggest to guys that they stay with the 5wt for trout and 6-7wt ZX for bass or streamer fishing. But since you said your TFO Pro series was a bit loaded when you had some large browns on it then I'm thinking perhaps the 6wt ZX might be a better choice for you, because the TFO Pro is actually a pretty fast and powerful rod in of itself.

What sort of fishing do you plan to do with it? dries/nymphs? or streamers?

Steve

Probably double nymph rig and some streamers. I'm thinking probably a 6 also. I have a 4wt that I dry fly fish with now. I think the 6 should cover the rest.

If you were only going to double rig nymph with it then I would say a 5wt because the little more moderate action of the 5wt would be helpful in keeping all that equipment (two nymphs/splitshot.indicator) from tangling up better, but since your thinking of streamer fishing with it then yeah I would say the 6wt would probably be best for you. You'll like the ZX its a good blank, and pretty color as well. Gudebrode Classic twist Green&black thread looks FANTASTIC on that color blank if you can find any of that thread.

Steve

Thanks for your input Steve. Your rods always look great!

Consider going with a Dan Craft FT blank. His blanks are designed in a way that you can use a wide range of lines and still cast affectively. His blanks are the very best value design and quality going.
    Last edited by hardhat; 10-01-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Go with the 6 weight Z-Axis. I fish with one and it is a good rod. It can handle those large streamers and heavy double nymphing rigs even in a fairly strong wind. Put a fighting butt on the rod and it will help out a lot when you get a big Brown on the line.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I was planning to do the Full Wells and fighting butt if I chose the 6wt. It would be more comfortable with my large hands. Now if I can just come up with the fundage.

+ Reply to Thread