+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alpaca etc

Don, I have been using dyed alpaca from a supplier here in NE Ohio. I use it as dubbing on smaller dries and it dubs very smoothly for me. It is a rather long fiber but I dub it onto the thread and pull off any excess before wrapping. I have been using it for about 4 years now and had no problem with floating the smaller dries. I can't say if it is superior to other dubbing but it does make for tidy looking bodies.

This feller lives about 3 miles from me. What part of the creature would be best for tying flies. He was shedding his winter coat at the time, and he's growing a new one now.

They're just fish, right? Right?

NEWS UPDATE: Earlier on this thread I mentioned a source for alpaca wool. If you go to the Marathon Alpaca Farm(.com -no spaces) they are going to offer special flytier sized bags of alpaca wool in many colors. I visited the farm today and spoke to the owner and they will add these to their website within the next week or two. I purchased 5 bags today for a BUCK TOTAL. If you know of any dealers out there they also offer bags that are about 15" long and 4" in diameter for ~$31 in many colors - they also will dye to order (I didn't ask the minimum order size) that could be repackaged. From raising, shearing and milling and coloring the wool they do it all on-site. They also make their own felt horse/dog/cat blankets, spin wool to yarn and have garmets and other products FYI.

And NO I don't own stock or have any other interest in this business other than as a customer that has ALWAYS been given top quality customer service every visit. Hope this helps.

WWKimba,

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing what Marathon Alpaca Farm offers to fly tiers. Went on their site and liked some of the colors they offered in what they called 'roving'.

Lew - That was just too funny! LOL!!!

Best regards, Dave S. (fishdog54)

+ Reply to Thread