+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some recent fly ties

Hybrid View

Default Some recent fly ties

Mostly just random stuff I hope crappies, white bass, carp, or whatever might enjoy...
    I think I have ADD...I can't seem to be happy tying 2 flies in a row exactly the same. Even the ones that look the same have some subtle variations!
    Misc. bunny (or pine squirrel) streamers:

Some soft-hackle patterns:

A size 8 Sparrow:

Feel free to post some of your recent bench-creations!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

That sparrow looks killer Dave! What size is that one? I like those soft hackles too.
    Tim

I was tying some Black Gnats last night. This pattern has worked for both trout & gills. With duck season coming up you might be able to get some wing material.

Hook: #10, Tag: Flex floss, Body: Chenille, Wing: Coot, Hackle: Black Saddle.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post
    I was tying some Black Gnats last night. This pattern has worked for both trout & gills. With duck season coming up you might be able to get some wing material.

Tim
    How do you cook your coot? I find the green meat/fat kinda off-putting.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Dave, those are some great flies! I also like that Sparrow... Seen the pattern before, but have never tied one.

As for the coot, I just don't know about that! I can cook up quite a few things that most folks won't and enjoy, but coot is beyond me. I'll pass!

I was playing with the "birds nest" pattern the other day. I bought a few sz 18's that were tied on a curved/scud hook and used partridge for the tail and legs. Very chunky caddis look. Got me to ponderin' and I tied some up in a similar style with a few different dubbing combinations. The one I liked the best was black peacock ice dub body and purple ice dub thorax. Also tried hares ear and peacock... I'll try and get some pics up. I'm going to head out and see if the bluegills will eat 'em tonight first.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

FishNDave: I was in a hurry this AM - to go fishing - and neglected to compliment you on your ties. My apologies. You do nice work.

Mao: I have ate several coot. They are quite tasty and I just fry them. Their meat is lighter than a duck and there is much more meat on their legs than on a ducks. Never seen any green meat. Maybe you had too much scotch when you tried to eat one.

I took that black gnat fly with me and it caught 2 14 inch wild rainbows from Deep Creek.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post

Tim
    Try coot breast feathers for hackle. Like a mini spey fly.

fishbum

Orange Flies and Fall Salmon can never have enough...Two weeks away from the vice a bit rusty but they will fish I am sure

Those are excellent dressings Stage!. Very impressive, how about some recipes?
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Stage 1 View Post
    Orange Flies and Fall Salmon can never have enough...Two weeks away from the vice a bit rusty but they will fish I am sure

Partridge Bartleet Supreme Salmon # 4
    Golden Pheasant Crest Tail, Med Oval Gold Rib, Medium Gold Tinsel Body, Full Collar Orange Hackle 3 turns tied in at tip, Brown Squirrel Tail Falared and Tied Sparse. Head Black

Mustad 36890 Size 4 Golden Pheasant Crest Tail,Uni French Embossed Gold Tinsel Med, Orange Schalppen Full Collared and Pulled Back with Rusty Brown Squirrel Tail Tied Full.

Must say I am a bit humbled with the kind words. Thanks Team FAOL

+ Reply to Thread