+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RODS - Neil - September 27, 2010

Blog Entries

Default RODS - Neil - September 27, 2010

RODS

How many rods do you have? I haven't counted recently but between the Ladyfisher and me we probably have nearly three dozen. Before we combined our collections I had over a dozen of my own. The newest rod in my personal collection is an Orvis? 1 weight that I put together from a blank back in the mid-90's. The rest of my collection consists of some bamboo sticks that I acquired back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, some fiberglass rods from Scientific Anglers? and a few Winston? sticks, and several graphite rods, mostly 1980's models.

I have about a dozen rods. Are they the best. proabably not as I built a few of them. Do they work and I am happy with them. YTou bet. will not get a newrod until some of these are gone.

Rick

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Default You caught me !

My wife and I have been whittling down our rod inventory for the past two years, to include only those rods we use regularly. Currently that number stands at sixteen rods.

However, we are going to be adding one more five weight travel rod and to that end, this morning I've been perusing Scott Rod Companies custom rod shop service. As it stands, the choices have been narrowed to a custom Scott A3 905/4 or the Albright A5NS / 590-5.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 09-27-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Blog Entries

We can go broke trying new rods, but I do anyway. How else can you know what is best for you. For example, I just got two new rods: Orvis zero gravity 9.5 tip flex; and another Winston - the heralded B2X. I don't particularly care for the zero gravity. I like the B2X but not as much as my Winston LT. However, I would never have known how great the LT was had I just stuck with the Winston WT which I had

My point is that unless you try the new premium rods you might not know what you're missing. As an example, I have a fishing buddy who still uses an old Fenwick. He thinks it is a fine rod. My bet is if he fished my Winston LT for a day, he might say "I had no idea what casting pleasure I was missing out on"
    Just my theory

+ Reply to Thread