+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SWITCH IN NZ - Readers Cast (Mike Thomas) - September 27, 2010

Blog Entries

Default SWITCH IN NZ - Readers Cast (Mike Thomas) - September 27, 2010

SWITCH IN NZ

I have had a Switch rod for a while now but have only recently given it a real go, starting with a trip to the Ohau Channel in Rotorua. I managed to catch a good fish just after dark but I paid the price for not casting as well as I could by having a sore shoulder for the next week and quite a few tangles to try to sort out. To say I struggled a bit is an understatement.
    Last edited by rtidd; 09-27-2010 at 02:00 AM.

Wish it was the NZ article, this one is lost, hope Ron can find it!!!

I found it by going through the readers comments place.

Very much enjoyed reading this. The area is familiar to me. I wonder if the author has fished the Hatepe stream? That place was magic for me.

Hi wgflyer, glad you found the article, yes I have fished the Hatepe, though the stream itself is more properly called the Hinemaia, the village at the mouth is Hatepe. it is a lovely spot and the fishing can be fantastic. Did you know that the lake above the dam has a population of Brook Trout? They are not often caught but they are there. The winter limit has moved upstream to the cliff pool so there is allot more water open all year now.
    All the best.
    Mike

Nice article. I've read about these brookies above the dam. Should give them a go sometime. I've not explored the Taupo fishery very much (shame on me), but must do so when I make some time. Things are still crazy busy at work, and will be for at least another month, so all I can do is dream and read right now.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Hi Mike,

Hinemaia! Wow, I never new that. I never saw anything on the road map except Hatepe. Cool! I think I knew about brook trout there, but I thought that they were more found in the streams that run into the lake on the opposite side from the dam, where access was much more limited. Being without boat, car or much funding at the time I was kind of stuck to where my thumb could take me in the Taopo town area. I fished in the river below the dam, but didn't do too well there (typical for me). You have a wonderful fishing environment there, you lucky sonofagun!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wgflyer View Post
    Hi Mike,

Hinemaia! Wow, I never new that. I never saw anything on the road map except Hatepe. Cool! I think I knew about brook trout there, but I thought that they were more found in the streams that run into the lake on the opposite side from the dam, where access was much more limited. Being without boat, car or much funding at the time I was kind of stuck to where my thumb could take me in the Taopo town area. I fished in the river below the dam, but didn't do too well there (typical for me). You have a wonderful fishing environment there, you lucky sonofagun!
    Bill
    Well Bill if you ever make it back down under I will organize a few days off work to show you some of the other rivers and streams in the area.
    All the best.
    Mike

You have a deal. All the best to you, Mike.

+ Reply to Thread