Thread: It just had to happen!

Threaded View

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default It just had to happen!

Hi Folks,

I knew this was going to happen but it's been a long time coming. It's been a number of years since I've lacked a specific material for a fly pattern that I've wanted to tie. This is due in part to the fact that I've been collecting fly-tying materials since 1957, first in nickle and dime amounts and later in fairly large dollar amounts. Several local fly shops and mail order stores are rumored to have full-sized bronze statues of me located just outside the door of their establishments. I also tend to tie "guide flies" much more frequently now for my fishing and that of my friends. I experiment with new flies but I have long ago given up full-dress salmon flies. In other words, my fly selection is pretty much utilitarian, with tried and true patterns for my area. Anyway, I'm in the process of tying a single, very-well stocked and very well stuffed box of trout flies that I will carry with me instead of my fishing vest and the 15,000 fly boxes that fit inside it. I'm in the process of looking through Ken Hanley's book, Tying Furled Flies: Patterns for Trout, Bass and Steelhead and spotted a very buggy looking Beadhead Rockworm Larva pattern on page 38. I'm not worried about material. It's a simple pattern. I've got closets full of material. Copper wire--check. Olive Antron yarn---check Pale olive dubbing---check. Gold bead---check. WIDGEON FEATHERS for the legs----AUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHH! He got me. I know that there are lots of substitutes but it still put an arrow in my heart.

I'm curious about your experience. How many of you have a good supply of widgeon feathers? What is the last material that you lacked to tie a particular pattern? 8T

Very important! This is not a request for widgeon feather donations.
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 09-26-2010 at 01:45 AM.