+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from the Wood River Valley

Default Hello from the Wood River Valley

Hi,
    This is my first post. My recent fishing luck has inspired me to post here. Thanks to the many posts and articles on this site I have brought my fishing to a new level, or maybe it's just luck...

The last 3 weekends on the Wood River in Idaho have been fantastic! I've caught more fish 14" and larger than in all my years of fishing, well not that many years. I've been fly fishing for 10 years and seriously for the last 2. I fish primarly the Wood and sometimes Trail Creek, I haven't tried Silver Crk yet. I have yet to figure out how to land a fish and take its picture; I think I need another arm.

The single most important tip I've picked up here is tieing 6x tippet with 7 turns on a clinch knot, I never loose a fish to a slipped knot anymore.

We are at the tail end of the Red Quill and the fish have been eating a lot!

Thanks for all the great posts and articles!

Doug

Hi Doug,

Welcome from Penna! I'm a relatively new poster myself.Yes, this is a wonderful site with very generous folks - from the administrators to the 'old heads'. There certainly is a wealth of information as you've no doubt noticed. Good luck with your fishing.

Best regards, Dave S. (fishdog54)

Hi Doug and welcome to FAOL from sunny SoCal. Hope you figure out the photo stuff. We all like fish pics here. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

you'll like silver creek.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Welcome aboard Doug. Congratulations on you fishing trip, and that was a nice first post. A lot of folks from this site are just now wrapping up a week long Fish-In at Lowell Idaho. They've been fishing the Lochsa & Selway rivers of North Idaho. That Fish-In is the last full week of September each year. You should really make plans to attend next year. It's truly a great outing in beautiful country. Again, welcome aboard.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I really need to expand my fishing water horizon. The Fish-In sounds like a good time, I'll try to make it next year. Is it always in the same place?

As for Silver Crk, I don't have any good excuses for not fishing it yet; I'm just very comfortable fishing the river in my "backyard".

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    Welcome aboard Doug. Congratulations on you fishing trip, and that was a nice first post. A lot of folks from this site are just now wrapping up a week long Fish-In at Lowell Idaho. They've been fishing the Lochsa & Selway rivers of North Idaho. That Fish-In is the last full week of September each year. You should really make plans to attend next year. It's truly a great outing in beautiful country. Again, welcome aboard.
    You are certainly right about Lowell. I went out there about three years ago and was blown away by the beauty of the place. I was hoping to go back this year, but it didn't work out. I sure wanted to fish with Denny and the gang. I hope to see all of you out there next year.
    God Bless America

Quote Originally Posted by dcleven View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

I really need to expand my fishing water horizon. The Fish-In sounds like a good time, I'll try to make it next year. Is it always in the same place?

As for Silver Crk, I don't have any good excuses for not fishing it yet; I'm just very comfortable fishing the river in my "backyard".

Doug
    Always at the 3-Rivers Resort at the confluence of the Lochsa and Selway. That's where they join together and form the Middle Fork of the Clearwater River. It's about 97 miles upriver from Lewiston.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Welcome from KS!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

doug welcome to the site. i was in your neck of the woods 2 weekend ago and was really impressed with the wood. caught some nice fish up to 16". i also fished the silver, i only caught small fish but saw some really big ones, 1 was close to 30" and my cousin lost on over 20". you should also travel to the s boise for a weekend. you live in a place many like me, travel to fish. have fun. oh and check out this vid on silver

http://www.vimeo.com/3629852

+ Reply to Thread