+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Humble Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
    Two things:
    1) Fishing the Beaver Tailwater is not "real" trout fishing.
    2) I told you that place was awful.
    I would say there are quite a few people who would disagree. Do tell though.........what is "real" fly fishing?
    Arkansas State Coordinator for Reel Recovery
    Board Member of Fly Fishing Federation Southern Council

We have some deceptively clear streams here in Penna. One being the Loyalsock. I stepped into what I thought was 18" of water and ended up in 3' of water! Didn't take a swim that time. However, I did take 2 dunkings within 20 minutes of each other in a beautiful mountain brook in upstate New York. I stepped on what appeared to be nice round flat rock, when in fact it was a 2 foot high boulder! So, what happens is that you have actually put your foot on the side of this large rock and next your holding your breath. I'll testify that that water was very cold! Luckily the air was warm. The clearest stream I have ever seen was in Germany in the Bavarian town of Berchtesgarten .That small stream was so unbelievably clear that the trout seemed to be suspended in thin air above a multi-colored cobblestone road. It was absolutely beautiful. I still have that vision, even after 35 years!

Best regards, Dave S.

Zac
    I bet if you ask anyone that trout fishes, they had their hat handed to them on the first time out. Good luck next time, you have to learn from it.
    Tight lines.
    Larry

I didn't say it wasn't real "fly" fishing. I said it wasn't real "trout" fishing.

Mostly, I'm just giving Zac a hard time, but I would say that "real" trout fishing involves fishing for native fish in their native habitat.

Larry!! How can you say that?!?!?!? I've never had that happen to ME!!! () Surely, no one else on this Board has worn the smell of "skunk"!!!!! When Zac fishes, we expect fishes!! (And, Zac knows we still loves him!!)
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty, there was fishes today! HUGE thanks go out to zhoyt... he put me on some fish. (Both of my fish were caught about 40 feet from where I started out yesterday.) It was overcast, a good cold front was pushing through, and the breeze was blowing opposite the current, so the fishing was tough. All the fish were about 11-12" and nicely-colored. I hooked into one that was 15+" but it shook loose... Zack guessed it was a brown when it turned as I set the hook. Those are the moments when your heart goes from your throat to your toes, and the reason you keep going back!

Zack, it was really a pleasure to get to fish and chat with you this morning. Thanks for taking the time and bringing the boat down!

Pics to come.
    Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Was great getting to fish with you Z. Next go around we will have to do some warmwater fishing. Pictures sent your way. Thanks for the flies.....cant wait to try them.
    Arkansas State Coordinator for Reel Recovery
    Board Member of Fly Fishing Federation Southern Council

This one's for the "no pic = no fish" crowd! But don't say I didn't warn ya.... Whole lotta ugly in this'n.

The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Hey Zac don't look so happy people might think you enjoy fishing for trout.

The Beaver tailwaters can be tricky. I have had some wonderful days there and also days when I had to stand in a carwash to get the skunk smell off of me. Before the population boom up there the fishing had been good then a combination of pressure and some highwater blowouts changed things. I understand they are trying to get it restored back to a good fishery. It is beautiful though and that helps when the fish are closed mouth. Did you go down stream past the big gravelbar?
    Grandado

+ Reply to Thread