+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headset Magnifiers

Hybrid View

Default Headset Magnifiers

Just curious how many do and don't use a Headset Magnifier for Tying flies?
    I swear by mine.....i am suprized what difference they make as an end result in my accuracy from start to finish of each fly.

I Highly recommend em at all times.
    Some Tyers tell me they cause headaches and some tyers feel uncompfortable for reasons and not to others.

I am uncompfortable with the Swing arm Lighted ones ....they seem to be in my way....so I stick with the headset.
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

jeffro,

In the beginning of my fly tying I tried to use the "swing arm lighted ones" and, like you, found them to be constantly in my way and finally settled on the "Mageyes" headset type and they really do make a difference in the quality of the finished product. I also have the ones that fit on your glasses and they work well too. At the present time, I do not use any type of magnification when tying. This is due to my last eye exam and the eye doctor and I were discussing my addiction to fly tying and fishing. When I got my new glasses I noticed that I did not need the magnification when tying. I called my eye doctor and asked if they had done something different with my new glasses and they told me that they had "bumped" up the bi-focal on my glasses by a small percentage and told me that if that gave me any problems, to let them know. To this day, I have had no problems. I seldom use any addictional magnification, but, will sometimes when tying something very small.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I've never used a magnifier, just haven't bothered to, did look at some of the desk top swivel styles but never picked one up.

Don't use one with every size jig or fly I tie, but lots of times I will use mine. I also have one that attaches to my vise, but like you guys it just gets in the way so it's not being used. I prefer the head type for sure.

Skip

I just buy cheap glasses with 1.5 to 1.75 in magnification.
    Works fine for me, I haven't tried a Headset Magnifier so I don't know the difference.
    Are they with lights?
    My biggest problem now is lack of light.

Thorarinn

I have a headset type. It had lights, I do not know how well they work, because I took them off. It also had a jewelers little round magnifier that would swing down to use.....which I also removed. Didn't need either. My tying light works just fine and there are 2 flip down magnifiers inside. The first flip down is all aIl I need to tie. But I highly recommend them. I have mis-placed them and miss them terribly. That's why I recommend them. It's like wearing glasses everyday and then can't find them. You KNOW you need them. I just put up a swing magnifier but haven't used it yet. My headstrap magnifiers work beautifully. Theys stay on your head at all times. They do not bother me. I can forget I have them on when walking around the house. But they work great when tying. What I really like is you are tying without them, you need them you just pull them down over the eyes and work away. You need something, you conviently move them up outta the way cause they swivel sorta, and find you bead, needle, whateverr....and to use them again just pull them back down. Always there and soooo easy to utilize. In MY opinion only.....by far the better way to go than glasses flip downs or the swing arm. Just my opinion but I thiink they are the best method to use.

+ Reply to Thread