+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is an 81/2 rod easier on your hand casting than a 9 foot of the same mf.

Hybrid View

Default Is an 81/2 rod easier on your hand casting than a 9 foot of the same mf.

My friend has developed arthritis and asked me that question but I have no idea what the answer is. Would someone have any idea and maybe what the variables are ? Shorter are usually faster but would that make a difference. Thanks for any thoughts.

Deepcreek,

Personally, I find that I have to work harder with the shorter rod. Also some 9 footers may actually be lighter which I would think would be a factor. Of course, the longer the rod the wider the arc which could put more pressure at the fulcrum (wrist)? Other than my opinion, which is not based on medical fact, I really don't know. Perhaps a chiropractor or someone in sports medicine could answer this definitively. Anything I do medically involves a lot of pain and duct tape. Sorry!

Best regards, Dave S. (fishdog54)

For casting, I don't think there's that much of a difference between an 8'6" and a 9 footer. When you get into the shorter, 7'6"-7' range, then there's a difference...but I don't know if it will help with arthritis. I would think that a lighter rod (overall weight and swing weight) would be the ticket... or duct tape. lol.

It might be worth while trying a different style of grip if the arthritis is in his hand or wrist. This is especially true if he is currently using a cigar type grip. I don't think that six inches shorter will make much difference in a graphite rod.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I would think that force on an artheritic hand equals pain. Does for me anyway. Therefore the lower the force, the less the pain. That would hint at the lightest rod possible (and reel too) and the softest rod possible. The obvious way to go is towards lighter weight ratings i.e use a 4 wt instead of a 6 and so forth. But going down in rod and line rating will bring along the obvious limitations so lets talk about a fixed rod weight - say six wt.

Six weights will come in a number of types. Manufacturers will refer to them as fast vs relaxed or maybe even tip flex vs full flex. Bottom line is some are stiffer than others. When making a cast of a given distance with a stiffer vs a softer rod, a caster will automatically adjust his rod arc to get the same casting distance with each. This is because he is trying to put the same energy into the line regardless of the rod. Energy delivered to the line is equal to the work put into it or essentially the force on the line times the length of the casting stroke. On the softer rod, the force would be less and the distance greater vs a shorter stroke and a higher force on the stiffer one. Ergo, less hand force on the softer rod over a greater distance.

Now all of the above is a lot of glittering generalities but I think directionally it is correct. But be careful. Manytimes the lower material modulus sometimes used in the graphite on the slower rods will yeild a higher overall rod weight offsetting the lower force used to accelerate the line. In order to really understand it all you need to learn about the actual design of flyrods. The Technology of Fly Rods: An In-Depth Look at the Design of the Modern Fly Rod, Its History and Its Role in Fly Fishing by Don Phillips is a good place to start or how about some articles I wrote a long time ago on http://www.hatofmichigan.org/e-book.html in the Mechanics of casting downloads. Or maybe Bill Hanneman's stuff on "Common Cents" (google same).

But for sure, use the lowest rod weight rating and the lightest rod actual weight and the lightest reel and the softest action that you can get away with for your type of fishing. The light rod and reel is very important because the most violent action comes in the stop rather than the actual cast. Probably stay away from bamboo and glass because they tend to be a little heavier than graphite rods. (I'll bet this last statement draws some fire.)

Just my $.02.

Godspeed and remember to treat those artheritic hands with liberal doses of alcohol from the inside.

Bob

From a guy who is coming up for an arthritic joint replacement, the answer would be NO . what matters is a balanced rod that feels, light in hand. Grip size also matters as joints become painful and swell . I use a 3m product called TRANSPORE tape it breathes, in my case i tape my index finger to the middle finger. Duct tape in a pinch. tell him good luck
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

The bigger the wt rod the more aggravated Arthur gets for me. I recently got a couple of Switch Rods to spread the casting load across both hands, arms, and shoulders. A big relief.

The real issue is finding ways to keep fly fishing.
    Max

I've had a painful condition called dystonia in my wrist for many years and have gone to lighter rods and reels--specifically from a 9 ft. 5 wt to a 8.5 4 wt. and a 8 .5 3 wt. What I've found most helpful is a simple wrist brace (Mueller made the one I'm using and I got it from an online speciality house, but have been told a like product can be had at Wal-Mart).

The wrist brace is so important in lessening pain that I wll not fish without it. Three hours of casting is still my limit, though, and after 5 hours on the SF of the Rio Grande today, I quit, even though trout were still taking, because of the pain (and oh, yes, the 17 trout brought to hand contributed to the strain).
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

I don't know for sure, but I don't believe there could be much difference with the same rod just in the shorter length. I do think that the 9' rod would roll cast easier and that might help a lot. I also think that the line might make a bigger difference than the rod length, as different line cast easier at certain ranges. Also shorting up the cast would help greatly, much easier to cast 30 feet than 60 feet with almost any combination. I would think that the bigger issue would be the strain from the actual catching of the fish, because with any rod at all you still will be fighting the fish with just one hand at least part of the time. For that the longer rod might have the advantage.

No one has asked which joints are arthritic and whether your friend has rheumatoid or degenerative arthritis. I would think that rather than changing the rod length, a modification of his casting stroke might be a better solution.

Is he a wrist caster? Is the arthritis in the wrist? Maybe changing the stroke from the wrist to the shoulder or elbow would be of benefit? It could benefit him to look at his stroke dynamic and his arthritic joints to see if there is way for him to cast without suing those joints as much.

Also rather than rod length, a change in rod action to a softer action would spread out the force on his joints over a longer stroke and make casting easier on his joints. Bobinmich mentioned this and I think he is correct. I also agree on the lightest rod and reel combo.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread