+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout fishing, A couple of questions for all....

Hybrid View

Default Trout fishing, A couple of questions for all....

First, how many of you fish for trout on a regular basis?

If you do so, do you do most of your trout fishing in moving or in still waters?

If we break it down to moving or still water trout fishing, which do you percieve to be the easiest?

And, finally, which do you prefer to do? (and, if you'd like to add it to your response, why?)

Thanks in advance for all who choose to play along.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Okay, I'll play along

A. I do most, if not all, of my fishing for trout.
    B. I spend most of my time switching back and forth from rivers to still waters. I can never make up my mind.
    C. I have never been able to determine which is easiest. I get skunked on both.
    D. I will have to go with still water as my favorite just because the peacefulness of sitting in a pontoon boat and fishing chironomids can't be beat. Of course I just purchased a drift boat and will "have" to float the river a lot more.
    Lou

I'll play....

A. Most of my fly fishing is for trout and I also fish warm water

B. All my trout fishing is in moving water because I have no trout still waters

C. Having never still water fished for trout, I cannot comment

D. Cannot make a choice ( See answer above on item "C")

I just enjoy using a fly rod for all my fishing whether it is warm water, cold water, rivers or still water
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

A. I fish for trout primarily. Sometimes I fish for spiny rays with spinning gear, but mostly trout with a fly rod.
    B. About 50/50 stillwater and moving water.
    C. Physically, stillwater is easiest for me. My wading looks like a drunk trying to walk on ball bearings so I sit on a bench.
    C(a) I think it's easier to find fish in moving water though.
    D. If I had the physical ability I'd much prefer moving water, but stillwater is really comfortable.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Okay....here you go.

I do 90% of my fly fishing for trout. About 10% for warmwater

All of my trout fishing is "currently" on moving waters

"Easier" is a double edged question. I think still waters are easier physically and technique-wise. But still waters can be by-far the toughest nut to crack technically.

I prefer streams. And I prefer riffles and runs over slack waters. I am 95% dry fly fisherman. so for me, moving waters and drifting riffles and pools are what I enjoy most. No surface action....and I get bored:^) That being said, I love to fish smaller still waters that I can cover with a float tube. Most of that has to do with available waters though. When out west I fished many lakes and ponds that held trout. Not so many where I am now. But plenty of moving trout waters:^)

Mostly trout. Why?............ "Trout must be God's favorite fish because He put them into His most beautiful waters". And I usually fish moving waters. In fact,if the water doesn't move, I do.

Mark

rarely fish for trout, used to be the opposite
    on the rare occasion i fish for trout i prefer rivers and streams
    rivers and streams are easiest
    definitely prefer moving water
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Buddy,

My fishing is primarily for trout.
    I greatly prefer moving water over still water. I like the challenge of reading the water and finding the fish.
    I don't find that either is "easier", they're just different.

Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

A. I fish for trout almost exclusively from late July on.

B. Fly Fishing... it has kind of changed. Last year I was 70/30 still waters trout fishing. This year, I'm about 90/10 moving water. The main reason for this is due to the fact that every time I plan to hit the lakes, it is windy. Have much better luck fly fishing in calm waters.

C. For me, Still Water is the easiest. I can generally position myself so that I don't have to worry about my back cast. Additionally, the fish aren't as spooky to my presence in a still water environment. That being said, I have not caught a single fish on a lake fly fishing this year. So maybe streams are easier?!

D. I prefer still waters, less likely to get tangled up on a back cast. My dog is easier to track, as she is normally in the boat, or tied to a tree next to my fishing spot. Stream fishing, she has been known to run off a 100+ yards from where I'm fishing. Can be a little worrisome when I'm in wilderness country of the Winds.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

A) While I do more warm-water fishing than trout fishing, I do a fair amount of both.
    B) I do more fishing in moving waters, but, again, I do a fair amount of both.
    C) Stillwater fishing is far easier, IMO. (Not necessarily more productive, just easier.)
    D) I prefer stream fishing, generally, but there are exceptions. To me, stream fishing is more technical, and presents more of a challenge. That's why I prefer it.

+ Reply to Thread