+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Fly Line - What a difference!!

Hybrid View

Default New Fly Line - What a difference!!

I had a wf4f sa gpx I bought supposedly new off fleabay that had developed cracks, rough spots right away - it was the old packaging (prob old and improperly stored) and I hadnt gotten around to returning it to SA. Found a new one, also Ebay, for $39 inc shipping, so I got it and spooled it up - Man what a difference!! My casting distance and ease of casting greatly improved, and I mean greatly. So all of you neophytes like myself who are casting with old lines (I have a 6wt line at least 20yo) do yourself a favor and put on a fresh line. So how often do you change lines and what is the secret to keeping it nice?

I change line when the one I am using starts to crack or stops floating. I am on my 3rd season with my Rio Grand line and it is still like new, my last SA line lasted less than half a season.
    I do not wash my lines very often but I do treat them with an SA line cleaner/floatant every time I use them.
    All the best.
    Mike

pillcaster,

I try to clean my line after every outing. Some folks will even take the time and give them a once-over during a long day of fishing. Not a bad idea. I have seen extreme damage done to rods and reels done by a fly line that probably was never cleaned. The dirt accumulated on a dirty line acts just like emery cloth and will put a groove in your guides as well as a groove in your fly reels line guide, or if your reel does not have a guide ,the dirty fly line will put a groove in the frame. Any time you feel your line speed is getting sluggish it may be time to give it a quick once-over. Remember too that that same line grime will be getting on your reel and your rod, so don't forget to check them also. Hope this helps.

Best regards, Dave S. (fishdog54)

+ Reply to Thread