+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does Reel Color Scare Fish?

Hybrid View

Default Does Reel Color Scare Fish?

There's always debate as to whether bright fly lines scare fish. How about reel colors like the Lamson Guru, which is a dull silver color? I'm not picking on Lamson there are others out there. Just wondering.
    Bruce

My question above is a serious one. I had a vigorous discussion with a guy about reel color.
    Thanks (lastchance)
    Bruce

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    My question above is a serious one. I had a vigorous discussion with a guy about reel color.
    Thanks (lastchance)
    Bruce
    so who said what??

bad/poor casting/presentation probably scares more fish than colored reels/lines/rods/hats/shirts etc etc etc

seems to me a dull grey would be good on dark and cloudy days

put on a camo reel and NOBODY will see it

i wonder what would have been the arguement on the abel reels?

http://www.abelreels.com/pages/finishes_new.htm

http://www.abelreels.com/pages/deyoung.htm
    Last edited by Normand; 09-18-2010 at 12:47 PM.

I would contend that by the time a fish sees the color of my reel, he's just a bit south of a hot frying pan and a lemon wedge.

Mark

I really don't think color would matter. Unless it was a chrome reel on a bright sunny day and throwing flashes all over the water. But then a watch crystal could do that.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

IMHO no. If so, the reflection off your sunglasses should send them packing quick. Camo sunglasses...hmmm. I bet someone is already marketting that.

Bob

Bruce,

I think it really matters where and how you fish. And maybe a little of it has to do with an individual angler's mindset about the sport itself.

Could the flash of a reel, or a fish seeing it 'move' spook a fish? Sure. Will it? No clue. I do know that if I'm fishing in one of the few slow, low, clear moving water areas, I'll be seeing the telltail sprint of spooked fish all day as I move about. It might be the flashy reel, or maybe the 6 foot tall 260 pound guy holding the rod it's attached to who's just stumbled over a log and landed on his rear end in the pool. Or kicked a rock loose, or took a splashy misstep, or didn't pay attention to where his rather large shadow fell before making a cast. But I'm still catching some fish, even with my dismal wading skills. Can't say I'd blame the spooked fish on the reel.

If 'stealth' is important to you. If you like that low duckwalking, belly crawling, slide the rod through the brush and gently lay the fly on the water type of angling, then you may want to think about a matt black or gray reel.

I have quite a few of them, since I'm cheap and the little $15 reels I like are all plain black graphite. But I'm still spooking fish under the conditions where the water is slow, low, or very clear. But I'm still catching fish, too. I may spook some, but not all of them. Again, can't blame the reel with any certainty.

Besides, I never felt like I had to catch all the fish in the water anyway. Spook some, catch some, miss some, lose some. All the same to me. I'd only be worried about something like reel color if I wasn't catching ANY fish, and I'd worked my way through all the other possible causes first. Or, more than likely, I'd just give it up as one of those days and go read a book. Can't catch fish all the time.

Now, on lakes and faster moving or off color water, I don't think it makes any difference at all. I've fallen into the water, stood up afterwards, and caught trout from almost under my feet in faster water. It's not uncommon for me to catch fish within a few feet of where I'm standing, flashing reel, bright yellow line, and, oh yeah, big fat guy blundering along in the river not withstanding. I just can't rationalize that with the concept that a brightly colored 3-4 inch disc moving through the casting arc several feet above the water would spook fish. I believe you could wear chartruese waders (don't have those, just a non waterproof jumpsuit in that shade-very stylish), chrome boots, carry a boom box playing Twisted Sister at top volume and have a revolving disco ball mounted on your hat and you'd still catch fish.

All that being said, I've always believed that angler confidence was the biggest factor in angler success. So, if you believe that it matters, then it does. Luckily, reels are available in a myriad of colors. You can buy the reel you have the most confidence in.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Simple answer - NO

+ Reply to Thread