About a week ago I was on my local river and had it all to myself for most of the afternoon until late in the evening a gentleman and his wife were upstream of me about 100 yards and the three of us fished until almost dark. I could hear them talking and they were not having much luck with the catching but I could tell that they were enjoying their time on the river catching or not which is good. I decided to call it a day and came upstream to where they were and his wife told me that she enjoyed the aroma of my pipe tobacco and enjoyed watching me fish and could tell that I enjoyed my fly fishing a lot because, even when I would have a LDR, I did not get upset. I cut the fly I was using off my tippet and handed it to her and told her that I had caught 18 trout on that fly and now it was her turn to try it. Her husband came over and handed me one of his flies and said since I was sharing one of my patterns, he would share one of his. We had a very good time talking fly fishing and flies. He said that the pattern he gave me usually produce well for him but not this time. He also noticed my furled leader and they both had many questions about it and how it was made. I gave each of them a furled leader and they put them on and they both were very pleased with the performance and thanked me for sharing. I told them about FAOL and how to view it and told them about Kathy Scott's DVD on furled leaders.

I fished yesterday and decided to try his fly he had given me and I was really impressed with the results. I discovered that you give it no action. You just let it dead drift and hang on. The trout would just hammer it! I let it drift past a blowdown that was in about 12" of water and saw a wake come from under it and caught a nice brown. Nothing huge, but sure a lot of fun to watch it come from the blowdown and just hammer the fly and try to take it back under the deadfall!

His fly really got chewed up a lot after catching 16 trout on it, but, I looked it over under magnification when I got home and reproduced it. It is very simply to tie. The tail was very sparse and made up from rabbit fur. It had olive rabbit fur and natural mixed together. The body was peacock herl and the head was made from small bead chain for eyes with a brown soft hackle collar behind the bead chain eyes. It was tied on a #12 hook. If this is a known pattern, please share it with me so I can do more research on it. As it is, it is a "go to" fly for me.

Here is a picture of the brown and the fly: