+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any fishing near Grand Junction?

Default Any fishing near Grand Junction?

I'm heading to Grand Junction, CO for work and will have an open afternoon one day toward the end of the month. Is there anything near Grand Junction to warrant me bringing my travel rod?

Thanks in advance

The Grand Junction area is a warm water fishery. Canyon View Park, and Connected lakes both have a good Bass and Blugill population. Google them and you can find maps to their locations.
    If you are willing to drive an hour you can reach Pleasure Park on the Gunnison. This has been my favorite trout location for nearly 30 years. It's the perfect time to fish it. The Browns are aggresive due to the spawn and will slam big Streamers. The October Caddis are making their annual appearance, and the Fall BWO's are coming off.
    If you fish in Grand Junction just bring your rod. If you fish the Gunnison, you may consider wading boots. I wet wade the river at that time, but you may consider bringing your waders aswell.

Don't forget about Grand Mesa. There is a ton of lake, and streams just full of trout. It's about 45 minutes fron GJ.

Thanks, DUB and ghjacobs. I think I'll give Pleasure Park a go. I don't mind wet wading (actually prefer it) so I'll just pack my rod and wading boots and some streamers.

DUB - i sent you a private message

They just opened a Cabela's in Grand Junction over the summer.
    "I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening..."
    Norman Maclean: A River Runs Through It

If the Oct Caddis are coming off you need to stop somewhere and pick up a few of the big orange caddis dries. They are a blast to fish.
    Max

Paonia, CO. (in SW Colorado on the western slope of the rockies)

Everyone's advice is good and you can't go wrong which ever you choose to do. I fish the Gunnison above Pleasure Park a lot as I only live 20 minutes away. The gunnison is a great place to fish, however I try to avoid the weekends. Maybe I'm anti-social but I don't like crowds and the river can get real busy on nice weekend days after about 10 AM. Early morning is usually better and later afternoon (after 5 PM) until dark is also better. I don't know what day(s) your planning to fish and maybe crowds don't bother you but it's something to keep in mind. I also like to fish the Grand Mesa. If you are driving and can fit in a float tube try Island Lake on the south side of the Mesa (it's located along the side of Hwy. 65). It has Rainbow, brook, and splake and I have had 150 fish days on this lake. Mesa lakes, on the north side of the mesa, can also be good. There is a Forest Service visitors center a short distance south of Island Lake and they sell maps of the Grand Mesa which show all the lakes and roads. Most of the lakes have fish (but not all) and most of the inlet and outlet streams can be good fishing too. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    DUB - i sent you a private message

I dont know why, but my PM arent working. Send an email to dubbn62@yahoo.com

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

My daughter and husband cast their vote for the Grand Mesa area. Their favorite trout hangout.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread