+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Farewell to my fishin' dawg -- no Idaho for me this year

Unhappy Farewell to my fishin' dawg -- no Idaho for me this year

To all my FAOL friends --

I won't be able to make the Idaho FAOL fish-in this year. My old dawg Kodiak, who is 14, is in the last few days of her life. She has had a reoccuring bladder and kidney infection for a year now, so it's not a big surprise. But this time the test results show no infection, and it's cancer. She's fading fast, and likely won't make it thru next week. Of course I have to stay home with her instead of going fishing, the car trip would be miserable for her. She's been my best friend all those years.

Bye, Kodi. I still remember your first ever face-to-face encounter with a brook trout when you were a puppy. You sniffed it, it flipped, and you jumped 3 feet in the air and ran away yelping! Me and the kids still laugh about it. How you lay in the water behind me (never in front) to cool off while I was fishing, always careful to position yourself out of my backcast--and warn me about the moose if they were coming close.

DANBOB

Blog Entries

My heart breaks for you.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Now my wife is lookin at me funny and asking what's wrong. I'm sorry to hear about your buddy, but glad that y'all had so many years together.
    There will be many Fish-ins, but not friends like that are few and far between.
    Hang in there.

Kirk

That's a tough one danbob. You have my sincere sympathies. I know what you're going through, I've lost two of my best buddies this last year. I wish I could comfort you.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I have lost two of my best friends to that type of cancer, it is not easy. The vet told us that we really could do nothing, and that is the hardest thing you can do at a time like this. Just being with them is all you can do.
    Hang in there, and God Bless.
    Larry

Sorry for this. I took my friend, Aspen, with me last week to our favorite spring; she had trouble swimming the creek and then getting back in the truck at the end of the day. It's hard to see them age so much faster than ourselves. Throw in disease, and it makes it even tougher. Keep the faith and remember the times like that picture you posted.

Blessings,

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Mans best friend!! My wife is always accusing me of loving the dogs more than her, well that might be true at times because they don't talk back they just love on you....lol

Sorry to hear this and God Bless.
    Keven
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Danbob,

So sorry about Kodi. Losing a family member is hard. My thoughts are with you.

Jeff

I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better but there isn't. I have owned dogs all my life and have been through this several times and it does not get any easier. At the present time, we have one Boston Terrier, Maggie, in our home and she is 11 years old. Her eye sight is not what it used to be, but, she is still in pretty good health. We also have 2 cats and they are both doing great and are a joy to have around. The wife and I have been married for 42 years and we have always had a dog in our home and have enjoyed all of them. They give so much and ask for so little in return which makes it even more difficult when they leave us. My wife and I have always had a place in our hearts for animals and there are those that do not understand that and they do not know what they are missing. There is just something about people who love animals.

You will never be able to replace your loss, but, you will be able to fill the void left behind. The most important thing I can say is please do not allow your loved one to suffer. When your vet tells you that your loved one is in pain and there is nothing that can be done, do the right thing and end it. Yes, it will be very difficult to do, but, your Kodiak will appreciate it and deserves to be allowed to go on. Kodiak gave you all love, adventures and dedication and deserves to be allowed to go on without suffering. You will all meet up again and that will be a great reunion. Just remember the good times and this sad moment will fade. When you are ready, you need to fill the void left behind but don't expect another Kodiak. There was only one and you were blessed to have shared your life together. The new one will provide you all with a whole new adventure.

I share your loss and my heart aches for you.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Danbob,

I'm very sorry to hear about Kodi's deteriorating condition. My wife and I are in the same situation as we have a beloved house dog who is doing a little less well each day. It's a difficult thing to watch. Our deepest sympathy goes out to you, your family and of course to Kodi. 8T

+ Reply to Thread