+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vanish vs Vanish Transition Fluoro

Hybrid View

Default Vanish vs Vanish Transition Fluoro

It has been said that Berkley Vanish Transition is heavier than Vanish. For some time I have been trying to find out what that difference is. Finally Berkley has responded by email this morning.

"All true fluorocarbons are made of PVDF, which means that all true fluorocarbons have basically the same density (approximately 1.7 - 1.8. Vanish, Vanish Transition, and Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon are all 100% fluorocarbon, which means they all have basically the same density (1.7 - 1.8."

Wish I still had my reloading very sensitive scale to check.
    Last edited by ducksterman; 09-16-2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: There was an icon there instead of the 8

duckstrman,

I am one of those that "feels" Vanish Transition sinks faster/deeper than the regular Vanish. This may only be in my mind and they both may sink the same, but, in my experiments with both, I feel the Transition sinks faster or deeper than regular Vanish. I, like you, would love to know if there is any difference between the 2 in the density. Here is the description of P-Line Halo which is described as 100% fluorocarbon:

"The future of fluorocarbon fishing line is Co-Fluoride, which blends various pure fluorocarbon crystals. This gives anglers the best combination of strength, sensitivity, castability and invisibility underwater. Halo has a higher specific gravity, giving the line a much faster sink rate. Per 200-yd. spools."

Due to the cost of Halo fluorocarbon and my satisfaction with the performance of Vanish Transition, I have not tried P-Line Halo to see if it sinks faster or deeper than Vanish Transition.

Very interesting topic and thanks for bringing it up for discussion.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

by heavier, do you mean thicker, or more robust? a tippet gauge would help in that case.

one of those told me that the 6X floro I was using was actually 5x thick.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Generally, floro is larger diameter than mono. That's why it gauges differently. Also, Vanish has a bad rep amongst the bass fishing crowd, but I've never had any major issues with it. Note: If you use the Trilene knot or Improved Clinch, use 5 wraps instead of 4. The knot will hold MUCH better.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    Generally, floro is larger diameter than mono.
    I thought is was the other way around; floro is smaller dia. than mono for the same test.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I've always thought the fluro was "thicker", than regular mono.

Berkley Big Game Monofilament 10# is .30 dia.
    Seaguar Blue Label 100% Flurocarbon 10# is .009 dia.

It would seem fluro is smaller dia.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    I thought is was the other way around; floro is smaller dia. than mono for the same test.
    Depends on the manufacturer and whether or not it's tippet or bulk spool "fishing line". For instance, if I'm not mistaken, when looking at boxes of line last week I noticed that 12 lb Vanish had a larger diameter than 12 lb Trilene XT. That was my point and I was addressing why somebody's 6X might have miked out at 5X. Sorry to interrupt. Carry on.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    That was my point and I was addressing why somebody's 6X might have miked out at 5X. Sorry to interrupt. Carry on.
    That's nothing new. It was sage advice given in many older fly fishing books to invest in a micrometer when comparing leader material brands. I guess today everyone just takes it for granted that when it says .005 it must be .005. I still use my micrometer and differences of .001 are still commonplace. I don't worry about it or the test until the results give me reason to.

BTW - I use Berkley Vanish on my baitcasting reels and a Polomar knot on my "baits". I have NEVER had a knot failure.

+ Reply to Thread